I think we'll drive down to Metzer!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AnaD, Apr 13, 2011.

1. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    I decided I wanted to save the shipping charges and drive down to MetzerFarms for two sexed ducklings. I figure we could make the 4 hour drive worth it by beach hopping down the coast [​IMG]
    Now I need to decide what two duck breeds to get.
    I really want a runner because they are just cool looking (yeah, I'm being superficial), but I don't know what color to choose.
    I was thinking a White Layer duck would make my BF happy because of their egg laying abilities, but I don't know anything about their temperament.
    Anyone know much about White Layers?

I'm open to other breed sugestions. We like good egg producers (we have KCs), but I'm also interested in getting a calm and friendly duck.
    Help please!

Edited to make more sense [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Nice thing about going there is that you will have all the lovely birds to look at...bad thing is that you will probably want all of them. lol Check out their welsh harlequins for beautiful egg layer. They can be calm and sweet if you spend time with them too. Congrats! I'm jealous.

3. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Quote:Dito, on everything said right thur!! ^^^^^

4. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    Ana~ Did you check the Other Poultry For Sale section?
    If your heart is not set on ducklings, someone in the bay is selling a pretty quad of Welsh Harlequin's for $40.
    If I didn't have 18 calls in the bator, I'd have bought them by now...

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have 3 runners. Ally has been laying one egg a day since January 2. Blue is taking a break and sort of molting and sort of still broody but pops out a soft egg every few days. Cadbury lays almost every day.
    Runners are egg laying machines!

Colors - I have a fawn and white, a um, not blue, and a chocolate. I love them all.
    I'm hoping to add a black male later this year and he might travel with a blue female. You can't go wrong with any color runner.

6. AnaD

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    Quote:I saw that! I would hop on that right quick, but we are penny pinching and I sure don't want another drake.

7. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I saw that! I would hop on that right quick, but we are penny pinching and I sure don't want another drake.

Yes but you also have to look at it this way
    How much to drive there and back?
    How much you going to spend on eat & drinks there and back?
    The price of the ducks!!
    You would come out the same when yu think about it!!!!

8. AnaD

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca

Yes but you also have to look at it this way
    How much to drive there and back?
    How much you going to spend on eat & drinks there and back?
    The price of the ducks!!
    You would come out the same when yu think about it!!!!

LOL. Yes, you are right, but recently we decided that getting ducklings is worth it for the brooding/bonding experience. Also, we really love going down the coast and have not had a good reason to do so. As for food we normally bring our own because we don't like to eat out much.

9. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

if you want a egg layer go with their golden hybird 300

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by