I this a banty pullet?

Hastingsflock

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2015
Missouri
We got this girl 5 weeks ago in a group. I thought she was a buff orph pullet and we were told she was 8 weeks old. she has not grown one bit in 5 weeks. My 9 week large breed pullets have quite a bit of growth on her. Any ideas as to if she is a banty and if so what breed would she be?

It's actually normal for a chick or two to be a slower in growth rate, especially if you have a bunch of different breeds. She looks like a fairly normal sized 8 week old chick to me. If your other chicks are only a week older, but are significantly larger, they may be a meat-type bird.

But shes actually 13 weeks now (8wks+5wks;) ) but my pullets( RIR, barred rock, silver laced wyandotte, and blue laced red wyandotte) that are currently 9 weeks are about 1 and 1/2 times her size. Also the ones she was bought with( americana and black orph) have grown tremendously Shes honestly sooo tiny But healthy as can be.

Last edited:
She may be a bantam, or she may simply be slower growing. Or, she could have some internal problem that is preventing her from maturing normally.

Back
Top Bottom