I thought all aracaunas layed green or blue eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bassfishrman, Nov 9, 2007.

1. bassfishrman

bassfishrman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    I have 3 aracaunas. 2 are mostly black and the other is solid white. The two black ones lay turquiose eggs. Yesterday the white one layed her first egg. It was a light ivory color. What gives?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Nope, I bet you got yourself EE's as they are often passed off as araucanas. They can lay any colored eggs as they are "supposed" to have the green/blue egg gene.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Are you sure they're araucanas? Araucanas are tail-less (rumpless), and have curled ear-tuffts that stick outward from their heads. Post a picture if you have one. [​IMG]

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Where did you get your birds from? EE's, the chicken sold to many as Ameraucanas and Araucanas are really mutt chickens and not pure breeds (which the Ameraucanas and Araucanas are). EE's can lay any color egg. So if you got your eggs from a large hatchery you probably have EE's. If not then I don't know what to tell you.

Here is Pure Breed Araucana

[​IMG]

Here is a Pure Ameraucana

[​IMG]

The Ameraucana can be tricky to those not familiar with the standard. EE's can look similar to these.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  5. bassfishrman

bassfishrman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    They came from my local feed store and were sold as "Aracaunas". I'll try and post pics later.

6. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Quote:I love the blue Ameraucana here. I want ONE!

Also, I have 2 EEs and 4 Ameraucanas. They all lay blue, green and sometimes...PINK eggs! Go figure!

7. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    If they came from the feed store, then the odds are very very slim that you actually have Araucanas. They are most likely Easter Eggers (EEs for short) and their eggs can vary in any pastel shade of bluish green to pink, white, or beige.

Chel

8. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:Sorry they are EE's unless your feed store buys from a reputable breeder (which I doubt). EE's are cool and will give you all color eggs. Martha Stewart has EE's [​IMG]

9. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:I love the blue Ameraucana here. I want ONE!

Also, I have 2 EEs and 4 Ameraucanas. They all lay blue, green and sometimes...PINK eggs! Go figure!

CONTACT CYNTHIA (SPECKLED HEN). She breeds blue Ameraucanas. I am getting hatching eggs later this month from her.

10. Varisha

Varisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Quote:Sorry they are EE's unless your feed store buys from a reputable breeder (which I doubt). EE's are cool and will give you all color eggs. Martha Stewart has EE's [​IMG]

Oh no I have somthing incommon with Martha Stewart!!!! I'm still going to keep my EE's.

Like other's have said you most likly have EE's too. Same thing happened to me but the only difference is that I ordered them from the feed store off of a list. When I saw them I was 95% sure the were EE's and not aracaunas but I took them because even just a chance of getting the blue and green eggs was worth it to me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by