I thought all roosters had spurs?

Judy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
South Georgia
Since some hens have them, I would guess that some roos don't. Haven't owned enough roos to know.

nikischicks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
NE/Mid Ohio
Heres why I ask.
I think I have all girls and am pretty sure. Then I look at some of the pics posted here asking what gender their chicks are and when I look at them I am certain one way or another what they are.
Then I see the anwsers. It is making me second guess that I do have all girls.
I was hoping the spurs were my fail safe anwser. I have no spurs to be seen. They are 15 weeks old also, I am thinking if we had a rooster in there it would be pretty easy to see now.

ella

Songster
13 Years
Jan 18, 2007
Aboard the the Heart of Gold
Most if not all ADULT roosters will have spurs, but it is the last thing that develops on a rooster. 15 weeks old is way too young to have significant spur development.

My 1 year old roosters spurs are only about an inch long.

Sonoran Silkies

Flock Mistress
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Tempe, Arizona
Quote:Yes, all roos have spurs, a very few hens have spurs, and yes, they are about the last thing to develop. My 1 year olds never have spurs that long--maybe at 18 months...but I have mostly silkies. I have a feeling that spurs grow faster on game breeds.

gocrow77

Crow's Nest
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Central MO
My one year old Light brahma roo has very small spurs about 1/2 inch nubs really. Never been removed or filed down. He is last spring's chick - so I'm guessing they take awhile to grow. Best wishes!

Top Bottom