I thought Barred Rocks were dual purpose. Our first processing and it's a sad chicken. *Update page

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by furbabymum, Sep 12, 2012.

1. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Our barred rock rooster attacked our son for the last time last night. He now looks like this:

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure if it's because he's a rooster or what. He's got some massive thighs and legs but look at that breast. Non existant! Is that normal??? Is it because he was older at 20 weeks?

It was our first kill ever so it took us about 2 hours to process this thing. Very interesting learning process!!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I processed an Ameraucana roo earlier this season for the same reason, my first time as well, and he looked the same. Good thing we like dark meat!

1 person likes this.
  3. EricaD

EricaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    My understanding is that DP birds will resemble rubber chickens, long and skinny! Not the plump "mini-turkey" sized cornish x we're used to seeing in the store, with the huge breasts. I'm curious how you'll like the taste!

I've bought farm raised cornish x locally, and it's great. Better tasting than store bought, but essentially the same. This Friday I'll be picking up 5 DP roosters from a local who had too many 5-6 month old roos, so he processed them and is selling me a few to taste as we decide what kind of meat birds we want to raise in the spring (batches of roosters raised to 4.5 months versus cornish x). I'll post my thoughts this weekend, after I cook one up!

4. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    The big, abundant breast meat we see at the grocery store is almost unique to Cornish and Cornish Cross. Even dual-purpose birds bred to emphasize broiler traits will not have as much white meat, and hatchery birds are notoriously scrawny. Still, I always underestimate how much actual meat is on a carcass until I've still got leftovers a week later.

I never really minded the lack of breast meat because I've always preferred the flavorful thighs and drumsticks anyways. Cook your boy slowly and with lots of moisture and you'll forget all about his shape!

5. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    I think we'll be having him for dinner on Sunday so I'll let you know what I think of the taste then. Guess I'm just used to store bought as this is our first year with chickens.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You are also dealing with strains of hatchery stock that has been bred to be better and better layers. The laying rates on almost all of these strains is 30-50 eggs per year above breed standards. The hatcheries seem to breeding more and more for production out of these older breeds, like the Rocks. The looks deteriorate and the body shape is trending farther and farther from the old time standards and expectations for the breeds. Most of our hatchery BRs lay virtually as good as sex links. Something has to give to get that kind of laying out of these breeds.

The advent of the CX meant the hatcheries sell these for meat bird orders. Just one man's view.

1 person likes this.
  7. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    We have a rotisserie so he'll be cooked to be crispy on the outside and moist and delicious on the inside!!! lol

8. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    I did get him from a breeder. He was a very good quality Barred Rock roo. Better looking than a lot I see and very large. I think he would have been excellent show quality if he hadn't been a mean jerk.

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    That's what chickens look like. Decades ago, that's what we bought in the grocery store.

It's just the Cornish Cross that have the gigantic breast meat. Which is why I raise Cornish Cross for my family's table.

At 20 weeks, your bird should be really delicious. Let us know how it turns out.,

1 person likes this.
  10. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    I'll be really interested to know the results. We're fans of dark meat so having the huge breast wouldn't be a concern. We got chickens for eggs but if we could find DP's with decent egg production and good meat, it'll be worth looking into.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by