I thought chickens laid the same time each day??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Kibble Goddess, Jan 4, 2011.

1. The Kibble Goddess

The Kibble Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Sylvania, Ga
    Am I wrong? One of my pullets just started laying and I might get an egg around 10, or noon, or 3 in the afternoon. I found yesterday's egg at noon and it was cool. Today I found the egg at 3:30 and it was still warm from the hen. This is wreaking havoc with their time out in the yard. I don't want to let them range till they've laid, but want to let them out as much as possible. I have a 1/2 acre yard with lots of shrubbery and don't want to have to hunt for eggs (I'll never find them!). Can you get chickens on a laying schedule?

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I thought the same thing. But I was wrong. Sometimes mine might lay early and other days they stagger their laying. Sorry I am not more help. But at least we are in the same boat

3. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    No schedule [​IMG] I heard a ruckus last night about 7pm, and went and checked, sure enough, someone had laid an egg and everyone had to sound off the egg song.

4. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    A day has 24 hours, but a hen's egg-laying cycle is about 26 hours. You are seeing something normal, when the egg is laid a little later each day. At some point, when the egg is due to be laid late in the day, a hen will often hold her egg overnight, laying early the following day. I have one hen that takes approximately 30 hours between eggs.

You can't get them on an precise and predictable schedule, due to the egg cycle being longer than a day. However, I've found that my hens want to come back to the coop to lay their eggs, even when they are free-ranging. I don't let them out until around 10am each day. We're on year 2, and so far it's been working great. I only found one egg laid in the yard - under a maple tree last summer. And, that day we had a contractor doing some noisy work. The hens were afraid.

5. dahlia333

dahlia333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Portland
    I learned that they lay every 34 hours.
    [​IMG]

6. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    On the days that our girls are out all day, they still come back to the coop to lay and then go back out and play. A happy hen is a laying hen, better to let them be outside as much as possible then cooped up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by