I thought chickens were supposed to like kitchen scraps?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Meghalu, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    My pullets (so far) have yet to like any of the kitchen scraps I've tried feeding them. This includes lettuce, spinach, banana, strawberry tops, watermelon rinds, and tomatoes thus far. Pickiest chickens ever!

2. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

3. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Mine like apples, yogurt, tomatoes, and cooked rice. that's all. Won't touch a banana. picky picky picky [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  4. chickenboots

chickenboots Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    fl
    Don't feel bad, my chickens eat scraps ok but I have goats who will not eat veggie scraps.

5. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    My girls get lots of green grass, so greens don't interest them at all (unless there's salad dressing on them). They like melon and pumpkin and fruit.

6. Cambium29

Cambium29 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    They're suspicious at first. But keep trying, one of them will eventually take a nibble.

7. Younger pullets need to be taught what to eat. Keep giving it to them and they will eventually loose the "OH I'm scared of that" notion and start eating. Give em time. Nature usually takes care of that when in a flock with older chickens to stand back and watch. Trust me, all that is green and a vegetable or fruit will most likely be eaten up. If you don't belive me now, just start gardening and see what happens. Ha ha [​IMG]

8. Fluffy2

Fluffy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    SF East Bay, CA
    That is funny and it happened to me. I served them up a very nice left over restaurant spinach/pasta/cheese left over dinner. It sat there for a day then they went nuts over it. maybe it has to taste bad? like worms. lol![​IMG] so yesterday i put more restaurant leftovers on the lawn in the plate. it sat there for a day. then I went out and tossed one of the potatoes a few feet. WOW. it was the same race to the finish like with worms. so then I just threw it all over the lawn and they scrambed and fought and ate it up.
    go figure......try throwing it around! good luck!

9. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Mine seem to like anything starchy -- potatoes, corn, noodles, spaghetti. Carrots-no. Fresh greens from my garden like spinach no interest, go figure. But I'll still be giving it to them because I'm hoping they'll learn to like them. [​IMG]

10. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    Quote:[​IMG]
    never even thought of given them dressed salad greens! i picture it being very messy. my pullets don't like banana either. actually, they often won't eat any treats unless i hold it in my hands for them. it gets a little tiring when I have huge handfuls of fresh garden lettuce and have to stay bent over the side of their tractor while they gobble it all up. But anything for my girls [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by