I thought ducks didn't sleep at night...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckLover2399, Oct 18, 2011.

1. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I keep hearing everyone say ducks party all night long, but yet every morning I awake to my duckies at my back door all sleeping in a huddle. Silly ducks I need to get pictures of them it is the cutest thing.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, yes, they are crashed there, AFTER their all night partying! (Remember, their night starts at sunset.)

I have an audio/video monitor system in the coop, with two cameras able to display the view day time or in total dark. My ducks are locked in the coop shortly after dark, last ones in. During the night, if I leave the audio volume on, I can hear them gabbling and even moving around. Verified by the video image. Occasionally they step on one of the two geese, which object to this behavior. Then there's some moving around to eat and drink and gabble excitedly about the incident. This goes on all night, with brief quiet periods as they nap.

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I had a similiar camera system with feeds to a video tape recorder besides. Yes some nights (full moon) they partied pretty well, other nights they did not. Their sleep patterns remind me of cats, activity mixed with naps, day and nights. However I didn't keep feed and water in the coop and I think that tended to keep the partying down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by