I thought grandparents were suppose to be a god-send.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by StrawberryHouseMouse, May 31, 2010.

1. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    With my luck its been nothing other then hell. I have 2 children. Each have a different father, and for good reason. The first man I was with is the father of my oldest daughter, I was with him for 5 years before we had our daughter, Jade. His parents didn't approve of me. They were in high class standing, living in a rich neighborhood with many cars and top dollar toys. Rental properties and vacation properties. Anyways, 3 months after I had my first daughter they called services, on bogus reasons of course. My house was inspected, my daughter looked over and I was asked a million questions. They left with no cause for suspecting me of neglect or any of the other things I was accused of. End of story pretty much there. 8 years later, I'm with a new man, been with him for 7 years now. Out of the blue my mother calls me and says that his mother called her and was saying she was coming up in June for a surprise visit, and if my house wasn't spotless and all the animals out of the house she was going to leave with my youngest daughter. Who is the result of my current relationship. She thinks I'm an unfit mother for some reason. I have no clue what she could be thinking. She lives over 900 miles away, what does she think she could possibly know about my life or how I raise my kids when she is never around us. She hasn't even seen my new home. She has never set foot on my property. But some how she thinks she has the authority to walk out with my kid. I hate to burst her bubble but she's in for a rude awakening if she attempts to.

Has anyone ever had to face this issue? Is there even anything to worry about? My house isn't spotless, who's is. But its not dirty either. It's an old house, made in the 20's. But we've remodeled it to the point you cant even tell how old it was when we got it. I know grandparents have some rights but not to that extent right?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Don't rely on word of mouth. Call the grandmother and ask if she has an issue with you and what is it.

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Quote:I did just that. However she just chuckled when I told her what my mother told me. She has a habit of being 2 faced. His mother that is. It's really hard to tell if she is telling you the truth or not. And she never said she didn't say anything. She did tell me she is coming up on the 20th however for 3 days so its possible that what my mom said is true.

4. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    The only people that can remove your children are state authorities. And trust me, they are not expecting your house to be spotless. They'd have WAY too much work to do if that was the standard!

5. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    Sounds like she has a bee in her bonnet for some reason. And of course you're house isn't spotless - with kids and animals? I remember when my MIL was coming for a visit. I spent days cleaning the house because she is a picky house keeper. After she gets her and settles in she asks if she could wash my floor for me!!! I had just washed it before she arrived!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It is more important that your kids and animals are happy and healthy and live in a loving environment than having a spotless house.

She has the right to visit her grandchildren and nothing more unless they are in danger or abused. Case closed.

6. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    [​IMG]
    Last year. XD

You think this might have made her worry? lol

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Lol..ya know what i'd say if she said anything about my house not being spotless?
    I would tell her, "Thats right! You didnt raise up your boy very well, now did you??"
    That would pizz her off... and hopefully make her shut her trap... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Is it possible your mother has concerns, and is using the grandmother as a scape goat?

9. StrawberryHouseMouse

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Quote:Na. My mom sees the kids every weekend. We live a 3 minutes drive apart. Her house is messier then mine lol. My mom isn't able to clean her home that much cause she has had 2 hip replacements. So she's no one to judge my house.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  10. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I'm a bit lost on which grandma this is, but if it's the mother of the man you're currently with I'd inform him that it's HIS Mom and he BETTER handle her and take care of it. That means call her, ask her flat out and if she won't answer then tell her she's not coming to your home. You can meet her at a park or something, but if she's dishonest and looking for drama, she wouldn't set foot in my house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by