I thought I got rid of all my roos but what are these 2?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by muckmuck, Apr 14, 2012.

1. muckmuck

muckmuck Chirping

Aug 9, 2011
    Las Vegas
    My flock had ballooned up to around 40 birds with way to many Roosters, I got rid of 14 and thought I had all hens now. But these two below have me a little suspicious!
    [​IMG]
    I had noticed that Red here always puts mim/herself between me and the other hens but had put it down to being friendly because Red lets me pick him/her up. Then I caught Red mounting one of the hens yesterday afternoon.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Then there's Frick here, I've never caught Frick in a nest box. And Frick is always around Red. I don't have any crowing from either one of them. If you all could help me out with what you think about Red & Fricks Gender and possibly breed I would sure appreciate it.
    [​IMG]

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I always look at saddle feather more than the comb. They both look like pullets to me - but I'm certainly not an expert. They look old enough, though, that if they were roosters, they should have obvious saddle feathers by now. All the feathers I see look rounded. I have read that a dominant hen might try to mount other hens sometimes. It's more of a dominance thing rather than sexual. [​IMG]

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh yes - Red looks like a New Hampshire. My Rosemary (a NH) looks just like her - and Frick might be a black star (black sex link).

4. muckmuck

muckmuck Chirping

Aug 9, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for the reply Carol. I thought they were hens and I read on here last week about the dominance thing, so maybe thats it. I got two juvenile BCM roos which I plan on keeping so I can get some olive eggers outta my Easter eggers. They still aint even taken their spot in the coop yet let alone crowing so I got a while till my Granddaughter can collect eggs for the incubator instead of the fridge!

Max

5. speedy2020

speedy2020 Songster

Jul 24, 2010
    They are hens. I have hen that mount hen when no rooster in the bloc and she also crow too. She stopped when I add a rooster.

6. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    both hens and looks like new ham and a black sex link

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Definitely both hens. Red appears to be a RIR (hatchery quality), New Hamps coloring are a lot different, more golden. And Frick is a Black sex-link

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Both girls! I have one production red that will occasionally jump another hen as some sort of dominance thing, but she's still laying eggs and is almost 2 years old so I am positive she's a she. :)

9. mandelyn

mandelyn Crowing

Aug 30, 2009
    Mt Repose, OH
    My Coop
    Yup, both girls. The mounting thing is dominance coming through in the absence of a rooster, a hen will step up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by