I THOUGHT I heard the egg song this morning....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Woofless, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Woofless

Woofless Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    SD
    So there I was, at 6 AM, walking out the door to go to work. It's early dawn, I hear one of my roos crowing out in the pen and I smile, and head for the car.

Then I heard it...."Bawkbawkbawk....baGAWKbaGAWK....bawkbawkbawk....baGAWK" Repeatedly, and loudly. The sound carried just as far as the roo's crow and I'd never heard the noise so I thought for sure something was up.

I thought to myself "Oh my gosh....EGG SONG!" and I took off sprinting the 200 or so yards out to the chicken pen, grinning the whole way.

I walk in the door to the pen....only to find my silly little bantam ROOSTER standing by the waterer, singing his little heart out.

I've never actually "heard" the egg song but I've watched the Youtube videos and I swear, the noise he was making sounded quite similar. I could have strangled him....he got me SO excited for NOTHING....I searched the whole pen high & low twice today JUST IN CASE I mis-heard and there was an egg hidden somewhere, but no dice. The rooster must have had a big healthy bowel movement or something, which prompted him to sing an egg song [​IMG]

My girls are just 16 weeks so they're a bit young yet. Still, they're getting to be close to that age so I've been a lot more vigilant just in case someone suprises me with an early gift. Oh well, the wait continues....

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    we got our first egg today and heard no egg song. And I never saw them squat either and I was home all day today outside mostly. are are around 17.5 to 18 weeks old. the waiting is the hardest part I have been complaining all over this website about waiting for eggs. when you find that first egg it will be so eggsighting for you. Hope it comes soon!!

3. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    I get many songs with no eggs(maby they just farted and thought egg) [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hens and roosters do practice the 'egg song' before they start to lay, so probably they are getting near. Not all chickens sing the song and some do it intermittently.

if one of my hens sing the 'egg songs' most of the others, hens and roosters, join in.....the noise is really loud!

Good Luck,

Sandie

5. pkforever

pkforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    My hen is 19 weeks and I'm pretty positive she has been singing the song and every time I run out the door only to find her and the others wanting out off the coop. [​IMG]

6. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    My girl who gave me my 1st egg, 4 days ago - Trixie - is a very quiet layer. She was singing a bit before her 1st egg, but now she's not so excited. So far, I have gotten 2 eggs from her, and 1 from a leghorn.

I did get another of my slacker hens to do the squat for me. This is Cocoa, an EE. I am hoping for a green egg pretty soon.
    My Leghorns may or may not be ready. They don't tip their hand so much.

I saw Trixie going up the steps to the coop before I went to work today, & I decided not to check again, until tomorrow morning. I don't want to seem too eager. I opened the coop to check for eggs this afternoon, & Trixie was sitting sitting in the nest - I hope she was doing something. I now have lots of confidence in her. She seems steady & reliable & both her eggs have been perfect, though smaller than store-bought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by