I thought I might like to go back to school....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Tala, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

So I thought I might like to go back to school.
    After all, I don't want to deliver pizza for my whole life!
    Anyway, I think I'd like to be a vet. I already thought about getting a vet tech certification, but the only school that offers it is quite a drive from here so it didn't happen.
    I already majored in Environmental Science, minor Biology for 3 years, so I have some decent credits toward that kind of degree, why not swing for real vet school? Well, it sounded like a good idea "on paper" . . . except there are NO vet schools in Arkansas. I could go to LA state, MS state, OK state, U of MO, etc. basically any state that touches Arkansas [​IMG]

But I have a life. Animals. A house. Not only would there be the cost of school, but I'd have to very MOVE too!!!!!!! [​IMG] And it's not even like renting is an option with a 90lb dog, I'd have to buy a place. And what about hubby's job? Not like I can just pack up and move without him. Life sure is complicated

Some days I think I just might deliver pizza for my whole life [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Hope you find something that works for you! I had a friend who got her LPN in her 50's.

What type of vet are you planning to be? I would love to have a vet that came to my home,or did phone consult in a pinch. It would be nice to have one that could care for a dog,chicken,rat,goat...you name it.

Would your current schooling cover vet tech if you applied for a job? Some places might hire you in a lower position,and you just *prove* your way up the ladder. I would look for any jobs that work with animals.Somehow it will work out!

I understand about the moving.Dh can move with his job,but it is still hard to actually do it once everyone gets used to a place.

4. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Just an FYI, as someone who just graduated from a vet tech program and who also has first hand knowledge of the Penn Foster version, it is worth doing the distance learning one from Penn Foster. If you are self motivated and prepared to actually do the work, the Penn Foster program is good. Margi Sirois runs it, she is a huge name in the vet tech world. Just something else to consider, as a way to get the schooling without a major life change.

Vet school is essentially a 3 plus year commitment that leaves little time for any outside life. And competition is extremely high. Not trying to dissuade you, just stating a fact.

Good luck [​IMG]

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

They had a thing on the news recently saying there was a shortage of large animal vets in Arkansas. Hmm I wonder why? Maybe because you have to uproot your life in AR and move elsewhere to get schooled???? Just maybe [​IMG]

Just an FYI, as someone who just graduated from a vet tech program and who also has first hand knowledge of the Penn Foster version, it is worth doing the distance learning one from Penn Foster. If you are self motivated and prepared to actually do the work, the Penn Foster program is good. Margi Sirois runs it, she is a huge name in the vet tech world. Just something else to consider, as a way to get the schooling without a major life change.

Thanks for the tip. I used to be homeschooled, so doing my own work is perfectly fine with me.​

6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wow, you mean they have to import every single vet (degree) in the entire state? Not a SINGLE vet in the state was educated there, even if raised there? I'd be contacting the Universities... and asking WHY? Contact your Governor and ask WHY? Department of Education... ANYONE who might be able to get that changed. Not just for YOU... but for any student who is forced to go out of state (and pay out of state fees) to get a degree so they can serve their community!

Why would they set themselves up for a shortage of qualified people? Stupid.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Not to rain on your parade, but the University of Florida has a veterinarian school and I am told by several folks who tried to get in they are more particular than the medical school. Competition is stiff.

You may want to check out the web sites of the various veterinarian schools around the country and find out what their requirements are.

8. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Part of the reason vet schools are so competitive is because there isn't as many of them as there are human medical schools. And yes, large animals vets are in demand, some schools will actually forgive your student loans/debts if you agree to practice in a rural area and stay there a certain number of years. The suspected reason is the major pay difference and job hours of small animal versus large animal. Large animal, you typically go to your clients...small animal they come to you. Its more cost effective to open a small animal practice and be able to see 40 patients a day instead of spending time driving from farm to farm. Its sad but true. And being a large animal vet has more physical risks as well. Dogs bite. A nasty horse or cow can potentially kill you. That scares some people off [​IMG]

And PineappleMama - It is stupid. But for states without their own vet schools, they usually contract with neighboring states and those schools set aside a certain number of slots for students from that state and adjust tuition costs somewhat.

In medical school, students study one species. In vet school, students study multiple species. It takes a lot more to fully educate a vet...IMO that's partly why not every state has bothered to ensure they have vet schools. Not as financially lucrative as medical school.

9. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    So, you might have to uproot and move away for 5 years. And then live another 40 doing what you want to do. Or you could stay put. And spend 45 years doing what you don't want to do.

New people and new places are awesome. Not easy, but awesome.

10. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    If this is what you were meant to do you will find a way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by