1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I thought I'd be okay letting them go...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Christie Loves Silkies, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

The story with this starts off happy but ends sadly [​IMG]
    I guess I'm writing it here cause none of my family and friends understand.

a few months ago, I had 7 little silkie chicks hatch, I bought them inside as it wasnt safe in my coop for them at the time.
    I watched them grow up from these tiny little floppy chicks into these beautiful birds.
    when they were about a month old,my mum had them free ranging in the back yard, she put a clothes basket over them so she thought they were safe.
    this crow comes along and sticks its beck through the holes in the basket, and rips off half of one of my chicks wings.
    I told my mum to never take them outside again. When i got home i went to see which one had been attacked, it was the runt of my hatch, I had been caring for this little chick since it had been hatched.

I was awake all night helping this poor chick fight for its life. the next day i had them all outside and i was holding the one who had been attacked in my hand.
    2 hours later,he passed away..in my hand, my mum heard me sitting in the yard crying. she dug a hole for me, and then said goodbye to him...

Now I am down to 6.
    I'm going to miss these 6 very much, as im never going to see them again.

I'm going to miss the way they all run out when i walk outside.
    I'm going to miss the way they make me smile
    I'm going to miss the way they follow me around the yard
    I'm going to miss their sweet little voices.
    I'm going to miss the way they jump around.

I'm mostly going to miss the way they make me feel better when im having a bad day.

I hope they are going to get a owner who loves them as much as I do.
    I hope someone is going to care for them...

I'm going to have a hard time sayin good by to them.
    Tomorrow is my last full day with them.
    I'm going to cry so much [​IMG][​IMG]
    Thank you for listening/reading.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Awww [​IMG]

That's very sad.. I care for my chickens very much. I don't see many other people around my area that do. People laugh at me when I say I bathe my chickens.. Well they all have their own personalities and you fall for each one of them... I felt like this when I had to rehome six of my puppies... I didn't lose it until that last one was gone. I know just how you feel.

[​IMG]

3. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    if i could i would take them and they would go to an awesome home but i already i have to many as i keep them illegal

4. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ahh Im sorry. I no just how you feel! I lost two last week. [​IMG]

5. mhhousley

mhhousley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2011
    LaFollette, TN
    I'll never forget having to kill my very first animal. My chicken that got mauled by a dog. We tried to save it but by the time we found it, it was covered with fly eggs all over it. We washed and scrubbed it and couldn't even begin to clean the eggs out of the wounds. I had to take it out in the weeds, on the edge of the field, and I shot it with my .38 special. 5 times I shot it, and it was still flopping around. I'm sure it was dead but it was really disturbing so I shot it with another full cylinder of 5 shots. That was the first and last animal I have ever shot. (Not that I'm against hunting, just never was taught how or had the stomach)

I may end up shooting my neighbor's Rottweiler that comes over to our yard, though. He got another one of my chickens about 3 months ago. I have a small 3 year old boy and this dog is huge, growls at you in your own yard, and I have repeatedly warned both the owner and the police that I would kill it if I had to. I don't want to but I can't let my chicken's get mauled by it not to mention my wife or child. I even offered to give the guy a dog runner and he said he would love to have it and never came to get it.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  6. Hens & Hounds

Hens & Hounds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    NJ
    [​IMG] aww I feel so bad for you right now, I wish you could keep them.

7. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    You should keep your babies even though you did your best by trying to save that little chick's life. You can always be with them while they free range. [​IMG]

8. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    [​IMG] at least you can take pride that you hand raised these babies to be sweet for their new owners. you did a great job! maybe the new owners can send you pics and updates.

9. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    That's so sad [​IMG] I'm 51 yrs old and don't have whatever it takes to part with mine that I've raised from babies. So I can't even imagine how hard it is for you.
    I'm just making sure none hatch out unless I'm prepared to keep them. I just can't let them go.

10. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the support guys.
    I wish i could keep them, I've hatched all roosters i think and I already have 2 that im not suppose to have but i do cause i love them.

If i get some hens from this lot i'm going to keep them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by