I thought it was a Barred Rock, but now I'm not sure...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CreativeCowgirl, Dec 6, 2012.

1. CreativeCowgirl

CreativeCowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    I got this pretty bird as a chick from Murray McMurray this year in a rainbow layer assortment. At first I thought it was a Barred Rock, but now, as it is growing up, it looks a bit different from the others. He/she is slightly smaller, has larger comb and wattles, has a more upright stance and longer tail, and surprisingly has white earlobes. So I am really not sure what breed or gender it is. Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Kinda confused here, any help?
    Edit: He/she is 18 weeks old, if that helps any.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Looks like a Barred Rock pullet getting very close to POL. Could be mixed with something, though.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Pullet, probably, mostly Barred Rock, but not great breeding, if seeking the classic Barred Rock type.
    Yes, getting close to point of lay.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    pullet and yes barred rock

5. CreativeCowgirl

Jul 22, 2012
    So why the white earlobes then? That was what was really stumping me. Is is possible to get an accidental mixed breed from a hatchery?

6. Chloe77

Chloe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2012
    She's a Plymouth Barred Rock. She has a large tail, so that's what put you off. I think she's purebred.

Here is my girl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Her tail is pretty big too. [​IMG]

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
  8. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Could be. Since they lay white eggs and the BR lay brown, the OP should know which one pretty soon!

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

When trying to determine whether a bird is a Barred Rock and whether it's quality is up to true bred status, I've always found it helpful to compare what I'm looking at today to the great paintings/typographs of the classic fowl in question. Compare these birds to this picture of a true Barred Rock and see what you think. Learn to study to the back line, the breast line, the lower body shape, how the wing is held, the neck and head, tail set and particularly, the crisp definition of the barring. What do you see?

[​IMG]

10. CreativeCowgirl

Jul 22, 2012
    I've never heard of a barred leghorn, but she does kinda look similar. Although I know for sure that McMurray doesn't offer them. And she doesn't look much like the hens in the pic posted by Fred's Hens either.

With her upright stance and long tail, it almost reminds me of a sebright. Does anybody else see this? I wonder if an adventurous young sebright cockerel somehow escaped and found himself in the barred rock pen at the hatchery? I don't know. I am still new at chickens, so I'm just guessing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by