i thought it was scaly leg mites but think i was wrong...?*photos*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Aug 5, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    so ive been treating this little bantam for 3 weeks now, no improvement...its actually worsened...
    ive tried smothering legs in vaseline, ive rubbedzerox p in them, ive even 'soaked' in ivomec but to no avail. i thought the raised scales were a dead giveaway for SLM but whatever it is its getting worse.

now the scales have started disappearing and big 'growths' (for lack of a better word) have formed on the legs under the scales..when pulled off these growths are pourous in form but very hard. (i scraped one off to see what was underneath)

im unsure what to treat with next? (sorry about the dirty pics but shes just had a bit of playtime outside...shes been inside for the 3 weeks ive been treating her...
    is this SLM and im not treating it right? or is it something else perhaps?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    you can see the yellow skin and a few normal scales of her normal leg underneath the hard stuff if you peel it away.....should i try picking it off or is that going to cause infection??

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    To me, it looks like the scales are coming off. SLM are nasty little critters and can take quite alot of work. I would just keep on with the vaseline daily, but gob it on, try and get it in and around any scales that are raised up as well.

4. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    Vaseline is good and usually works really well, but since it's not, try an oil that is more easily absorbed (vaseline is not absorbed, but on the surface but that's why it suffocates them). Try something like sweet almond or grapeseed oil, or even olive oil. After the oil, try spraying with the purple wound stuff. I'm not sure why, but it seems to have helped me with the healing too, and especially as bad as this poor thing is, looks like a risk of infection like you said. They always look funny looking at their new purple legs too. One other thing I've done is a bleach solution bath in warm water before the oil, soaking their legs in about 1 part bleach to 5 or 6 parts warm water. That also seems to make it feel better if their behavior is any indication (they seem to relax and fall asleep), then the oil, then the purple stuff. Believe it or not, dermatologist recommend a bleach bath for their patients with psoriasis, but not as strong. Good luck!

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Mix some Seven Dust in with the vasceline, and slather those legs up twice a day. That'll do the trick!

6. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I had a chicken with legs like that. First thing I did was soak her legs in Dawn dish soap for as long as possible. After I got her out and got her legs partially dries off (yes thats right do not rinse the Dawn off) I gooped her up with petrolium jelly. The long soak helps not only to kill the mites but it also moisturizes the legs. The mites can't breathe with the moisture and the petrolium jelly. Do this for a couple of days to a week. Now mind you that just like people some animals (even chickens) are alergic to things and that can make things worse. So if it is getting worse use another oily product like mineral oil, olive oil, or even veg. oil. If you still have no progress you might have to consult a vet.
    Good luck.
    Mollie

7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    thanks for the replies...im gonna give the olive oil a try this week and see how that goes [​IMG]

8. lynnemabry

lynnemabry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    i usually have to really massage the vaseline in. stick with it it will work. and remember that the mites are living in the coop, roost, nest box and all. Sevin is your friend there.

9. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Soak her legs also... That really does help, and mine lived her"spa days".

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    spish a memeber on BYC named Welsharon treated alot of chickens that had scaley leg mite, I'd say she is an expert on the subject and I remember her talking about rubbing off the scales but you should PM her and find out what all she did. These weren't even her chickens that she treated and some had even lost their toes, so i think she would be able to help you alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by