I thought leghorns layed early?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Nov 30, 2011.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    My leghorn girl, 24 weeks, has still not layed. Her comb is bright red, but only about a centimeter tall (sounds small but it's pretty big looking to me). No squatting- she shreiks, flaps wings, and takes off if she sees me or any sort of shadow instead of squatting. When's the latest your leghorns have layed? I know I'm impatient...but I just read all these stories about their leghorns starting at 16 or 18 weeks! [​IMG]

2. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Quote:Mine is 26 weeks and is not laying. She comb is still fairly small and still quite pink (not red). Isn't it frustrating when so many others leghorns started laying at 16 weeks. Have we done something wrong?[​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You've done nothing wrong. It's most likely the time of year and short day length that is slowing things down.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The length of daylight is getting shorter day by day. My hens have already molted and I am going to put artificial light in the hen house this weekend to get them to started laying again.

I have impatient egg buyers !

5. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Mine turned 24 weeks 5 days ago. I have gotten
    3 eggs in 4 days. I do believe it's been the leghorns.
    Hang in there! Nature will not be denied!

6. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

I seldom have any breeds that lay earlier than 24 weeks, and most much later than that (large & slow growers).

7. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    My White Leghorn turned 19 weeks old this past Saturday. She laid her first egg on Thanksgiving morning - 2 days shy of her 19 week birthday. Her comb grew practically overnight from small and yellowish to red and floppy.

Here she is at 17 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

Here she is at 18 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

Here she is on the left 2 days ago at 19 weeks old and with a floppy comb, her mate Foghorn is on the right.
    [​IMG]

It will happen - just give it time. She has laid an egg for 6 out of 7 days and the eggs are getting bigger and better formed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by