I thought my beloved BJ was dying this morning

jjthink

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 17, 2007
New Jersey
BJ roo, my buddy of some 8 years now, and kind heart to the hens that have been fortunate enough to have his gentle faithful flawless care....

When I opened the coop door this morning, he was lying belly up on the floor (on some inches of pine shavings), feet curled and open mouth breathing. Heart in my throat I gently righted him and embraced him in my lap, stricken with the fear that he was dying. Gently kissed and stroked him and whispered that I loved him. He didn't struggle, he didn't move. Mind racing - can I get him to the vet in time - what would they do - dare I leave him to get the carrier if he is about to die...

A little while later to my happy surprise he was able to stand but would stumble when attempting to move. His comb has not turned blue or purple so I began to have hope that he was not having a heart problem after all. Once he was standing long enough that I thought he would stay that way I ran and got mealworms and he gobbled them down, as he did sunflower seed. I made up some aspirin water in case he had taken a bad fall jumping off his sleeping shelf (which is only 2 feet off the ground!) and it was 'just' a painful injury, dipped a couple of raspberries in the water and fed them to him since he wouldn't drink - he gobbled them down. He didn't walk for quite awhile - just stood still - but then did. He improved through the course of the day, even preening, with rest periods in between, and sometimes slight open mouth breathing (perhaps indicating pain rather than heart/circulation issue) and seemed okay at bedtime tonight.

I am still nervous - what the heck was/is going on but I am hoping hoping HOPING he 'just' somehow fell and couldn't right himself. Very mysterious. He buddy Ellie is just fine, better than fine today actually, except that she was very worried when he was lying belly up, and was making crying sounds. Once he was getting around she was a happy camper.

Ack! These precious beings can be such a worry! You guys will understand what most anyone else cannot so I thank you
hugs.gif

JJ

Last edited:
Oh my god, JJ, how worried you and Ellie must be. I'll be hoping and praying with you that he will be ok.
Following all your stories about how sweet he is to Ellie, especially while she was injured, that would be awful.

Please keep us updated. He's such a good looker too. I'm sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

hugs.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom