1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I thought my eggs would be brown!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ardizzone7, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Ardizzone7

Ardizzone7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    I have a RIR hen and 2 ISA Brown hens. One has started to lay but I don't know which one. We have had 2 eggs now and they are both white. I thought they were all supposed to lay brown eggs. I don't think they are from one of my ducks. The eggs are too small. Any thoughts?

2. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Could they be light brown? My grandparents swore they had white eggs but they turned out to be a light brown color.

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I have RIR's and Isa Browns, and yes, the eggs are brown. However, it is possible that one of the hens has a defect in her plumbing that doesn't allow the "color coat" to be applied to the egg, so she could always lay white eggs. Not normal for the breed, but it happens and is harmless.

Or, I guess they could be duck eggs -- what breed of duck? My Rouens lay mostly green eggs, but one did lay cream/ivory/off white eggs.

4. Ardizzone7

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    They might slightly be off white. The shells feel very smooth also. Almost like plastic. Would that be a duck egg? I have a pekin and a buff duck.

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:Sounds like duck eggs...the shell is decidedly different in texture...

6. Ardizzone7

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    Yes they are very smooth like plastic but small like a medium sized egg fom the store. Do duck eggs start out smaller then get bigger as they get used to laying?

7. Ardizzone7

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    BTW my ducks are 25 weeks and get mated frequently by our RIR Roo. Lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by