1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I thought my hen had bumble foot,

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Remudamom, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

but it looks more like a cut. It won't heal. Someone tell me how in the world you soak a chicken foot?

2. Roosterlover5

Roosterlover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Can you post a picture, that would help alot.

Soaking a chickens foot can be quite hard to do depending on the bird.

It is much easier to soak a hens foot with two people. one person hold the bird so she is standing in a big shallow pan of warm water with lots of Epsom salt. that will help with any infection, as well as help in stay clean.If this is not bumblefoot, you really need to keep the cut clean otherwise it could very easily become bumblefoot. The longer you soak it the better.

3. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Good luck, please keep us posted.

4. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Yes a picture would be great.

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Do the soak and get it allllll cleaned up. Put a dollop of neosporin on the cut, then wrap with a layer of gauze, then a layer of vet wrap (sports wrap is the same thing). If you buy a roll of 4 inch wrap, you can cut a 4x4 square of it. One one end cut 3 slits about 1 1/2 inches long so you have 4 tabs. On the opposite side, cut one slit in the center about 1 1/2 inches. Rest her foot on the center and pull each of the 4 tabs up between her toes criss-crossing them across each other. Then put her back one in the back slit and wrap them up. It will try to go to the side, but when she walks/roosts it will naturally go to the back so you want to keep it like that. Once all that is stuck together, cut a strip about 1/2 and inch wide (4x1/2) and use it to wrap around and secure the top - not too tight. Works like a charm! Then change it every day for 4 or 5 days, then every two days for another 4 or so days. Should heal up with no prob! There's a video showing someone doing this around somewhere, if I can find it again, I'll post it for you. The first time is the most difficult, then you catch on!

6. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
  7. Remudamom

Trying a picture

[​IMG]

8. Remudamom

The pic was taken before I soaked it in epsom salts.

9. Remudamom

I just now looked at the link with the dressing/surgery pics. My hen's foot is not swollen like that, and since her foot is black I don't see a dark spot. The spot on her foot is white. Same difference?

10. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    I was just having you look at how the dressing was done. You wouldn't need to do the procedure for bumblefoot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by