1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I thought "pullet eggs" from newly-laying hens are small.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Denninmi, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    My 6 month old Isa Browns are beginning to lay, and the eggs are bigger than the ones my 2 year old RIR's lay.

I thought that "pullet eggs" were small.

Does this mean the Isa Brown eggs will get even bigger? They already are xtra large or jumbo by grocery store standards?

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Our pullets would put out a huge honking booger and then regular size for a time or four and then a double yolker and then there were small ones too... nor freakish or anything, maybe Medium would be a better word?

Nowadays their systems are regulated and it's the same size most of the time. Now and then a big one, but mostly the same.

I had the same thought... good grief if the pullet egg is this big she'll be bowlegged before she's six months old... but they sorted it out.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by