I thought roosters always came back...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Othercat, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Othercat

Othercat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Ashe County, NC
    I was given a Rooster a few days ago. He's super nice and lets us pick him up or pet him without trouble. When we got him, I put him in the coop and left him there for 3 days. Today, while I was building a partition in the coop, he escaped. Although he wandered, he basically stayed on our land all day. When I got done building, I tried to catch him with no luck. I was told they always come home to roost so I left the coop open for him as long as I could, but he never returned. I checked both spots he laid for most of the day and we even checked the trees. Did I lose him for good?

2. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    You probably didn't lose him if he's been in the coop for three days. He's probably not up in the trees, but has found a lower roosting area. I had to leave my chickens in their house for at least a week before they returned without issues.

3. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Antarctica
    You need to keep them in their coop for a few more days until he learns it is home. Listen for his crowing and have some mealworms on hand to catch him. If you can't hear his crowing, it's possible he was attacked and killed.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  4. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    How close is his old home? 'Cause that's where I'd guess he was headed.

I hope he's hanging around somewhere close but I worry just 3 days aren't long enough for him to know your place is home.

Listen for his crowing, that's your best bet for finding him. Good luck. [​IMG]

5. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Definitely listen for crowing. If you can get close to him and he is semi tame you might stand a chance of catching him. If he runs listening later in the eve for his crow before he goes to roost. Then once it's bed time go searching for him look up for sure lol. I still haven't caught my 4 I lost on day 1.

6. Othercat

Othercat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Ashe County, NC
    He came back! This morning I went up to check on the chicks and there he was! When I opened the door he just walked right in! [​IMG]
    I think I'll keep him in until the run is built, which won't happen until I get my butt off the computer!

Thanks for your help!

7. luvkigers

luvkigers New Egg

May 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    How long was he gone.. We had the same thing happen with a new Roo.. We kept him in for a few days and then he didn't return last night at bedtime. We searched the farm, but don't hear him or see him.. Your post gave us some hope

8. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I do not want to give anyine false hope....
    but earlier this year a coyote got my huge 1/2 english Orp roo.......
    I thought I was going to die of heartbreak.I could hear him screaming
    and was unable to help him.
    About a month later we were tucking everyone in for the night, counted noses
    and called my husband to help me..Thought I had lost my mind but sure enough,that rooster was
    in the coop happy as could be............
    Riddle me that one Batman !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sure glad your boy returned.............

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! I usually keep my new chickens locked in the coop/run area for at least a week. That helps them establish that "feeling of home". I'm so glad he came back to you. Just a bit more time and he will do that each night with the rest of the flock.

Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by