I thought roosters were mean...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by max13077, Jun 19, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have several 6 week old roo’s(2 B’d Rk‘s in particular)who are nothing like I thought roosters were suppose to be. They're gentle, friendly, love to be picked up, do the cutest coo-clucking noise you ever heard, and are actually bossed around by the hens. What's wrong with these guys!? I thought they were suppose to come out with spurs-a-blazin!!!

2. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    My roo is 7 weeks old and is now starting to act like a rooster. I have never raised chickens before so I really can't say for sure. I was thinking the same thing and I think maybe as time goes on he may start acting more and more like a rooster. Maybe it depends on the breed as well??

3. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Report back in a year.

4. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Roosters are the male animal of a species, and sometimes some individuals take their job extra-seriously, and aren't corrected by anyone. That can create a problem, especially if it's one with a good dose of attitude. A few don't seem to mend their ways, but I don't know if that's the bird, or the person handling them. My roosters have all been very sweet.

It's a little of both.

They do change as they mature. From babies to rooster. As for breed, individuals can be different even within' a breed, but I've found that a kindly, yet firmly handled rooster of a mellow breed, is almost always a joy to have around.

I've had barred rock roosters, and buff orpington roosters, and they were no trouble at all. That doesn't mean they couldn't have been, but they weren't.

I've currently got a pair of partridge rock roosters in with my latest chick order, which came a week and a half ago, so we'll see how they are. Actually I ordered 1, but they gave me a second for free.....not sure why! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:'Nuff said. LOL

6. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

They turn mean, they turn into dinner [​IMG]

7. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA

not to me I love'em all the time,mean or nice

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia

The friendly creature at 7 weeks is in no way going to resemble the fully grown rooster in one year. Yes, they may be nice to you at 1 year but a mature rooster can be aggressive and show aggression for any number of reasons. Many mature roosters will sit in your lap and be hand fed but just as many will not and will remain aloof. Not all roosters turn mean but they can be mean under certain circumstances. If a rooster turns on you and becomes hostile and agressive by all means he goes in the stew pot.

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    that's like comparing a nine year old little boy to a hell raising eighteen year old. just give it time. In the mean time, set your boundaries and start now to assert your dominance. If he is really persistent about wanting to jump on your hand when HE wants to, shake him off, push him away to the back of the crowd, pick him up when YOU want to, and put him down when YOU want to, again, at the back of the flock. Stuff like that will help him know his place. Not all are naturally nice as they get older, but many can be trained to not be mean. The ones that can't, well, that's what the recipe section is for. They don't call them cocks for nothing... lol

10. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    My 9 week old Phoenix rooster jumps up onto my shoulder. He likes me a lot. (probably because none of the hens do) He is so sweet, and small. I read on MPC that phoenixes are not nice, not harty, not good in confinement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by