I thought runners didnt like to go broody?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by featherfinder, Apr 20, 2012.

1. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Well both of my girls are sitting on nests! I noticed my blue girl sitting in the duck house on 8 last week and she has been doing good. Then tonight when I went to give treats I noticed that my white girl had not come out from under the duck house for a couple of days. Look under there and she has a nest of her own as well! I didnt even know she had been hiding eggs under there. Looks like I am going to have lots of ducklings in a few weeks lol.

2. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    All my Runners went broody. :D

3. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I right now only have 2 runners. They were born from a broody last year. So I'm hoping penelope goes broody. Congrats! I hope to have the same thing happen!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Runners have reputations as being not broody, and skittery. None of mine are skittery, and three get pretty broody. Then there are the buffs!

1 person likes this.
  5. featherfinder

I guess its more common then I thought! Im pretty happy about and I cant wait for cute little ducklings to be running around! Next time I will just have to pay more attention where they hide their eggs on me!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    OOH so excited for you!!! Babies hatching here as we speak!!

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yay, Miss Lydia!

And I forgot to mention that a friend has decided to let her blue runner sit eggs, she's been making such a big deal about it. The drake is a rescue, someone said he's a runner mix, but he doesn't look that runnerish to me. He is, however, quite the handsome fella, and who knows? Perhaps he has some nice genetics. We shall see.

8. featherfinder

It will be interesting to find out. My ducklings will be mixed. I have a fawn and white drake and then a black swedish drake. I hope he makes good ducklings!

9. Chicken Crazy12

Chicken Crazy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Total myth. If you leave eggs out all of our runners will go broody. They actually will try to hide them in leaves so that you can't find them and pick up. They don't do well if you confine them to a small cage with their nest though, they freak out and will run over the top of their babies found that out the hard way.

10. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    my girl Penelope always buries her eggs. I guess maybe I'll just start leaving them there and see what happens.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by