I thought runners were supposed to be cowards. . .

cici_p

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
I have always loved runner ducks, but was afraid to get them because I was worried that they would run from my dogs and trigger their predator instinct. . .
Fast forward to the one little runner duck I kept from the batch of eggs I hatched. I kept him along with a crested white.
I also have a goose and pekin duck that are about a week and a half older, but about 10 times his size, due to their rate of growth.
When I put the two pairs together earlier this week, the little runner immediately ran over to the goose and pekin, and started stretching his neck up above theirs to dominate them!! They pecked at him , but, he eventually stood them down.
lau.gif

Today I let the small ducks out with the dogs for the first time. Our little toy mix immediately ran over to sniff butts. The runner duck did the same thing to him--ran up to him, and stood him down!
lau.gif

Ok, I am going to have to get some pictures next time so everyone can see the size difference. This is one brave runner duck.

I only have runners, but mine are brave or dumb - today one stuck his head INTO the dog kennel through the chainlink! Lucky it was the Brittany's pen (she was distracted) and NOT the GSD's!

Last edited:
You got a spunky one on your hands! LOL

My runner is a big chicken
tongue.png

My buff/khaki mix is bold as all get out and she is the smallest of the "big" ducks.

Hah! Anyone who says Runner's are cowards have never met my Hershey duck. She's a Chocolate Runner hen who will attack any dog or cat who enters her area. Except for Pudster the yard cat, she allows him.

Back
Top Bottom