1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I thought scratch was scratch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BBQJOE, Oct 1, 2015.

1. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I've been out of the chicken business for over 10 years.
    So I bought a bag of scratch last week. It turns out is is nothing more than milo and cracked corn.
    I remember the scratch from years ago had so many more things in it.
    Has this become the standard, or did I just buy a crappy bag of scratch?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They don't have a guaranteed analysis. It's always made up of what is cheap at the time it is bagged. Milo and corn tend to dominate. I just pulled out a handful from my bag and it appears there are a few other seeds in there but not many.

I usually make my own. In summer it's mostly oat groats with a little millet and sunflower.
    In winter, it's wheat, barley and sunflower.
    Buying those in 50 # bags, I think the seed quality is better.

3. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Well I was thinking about sprouting some scratch, but if it's only milo, it doesn't much seem worth it.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I wouldn't bother. And the cracked corn won't sprout.
    Sunflower and barley sprout very easily.

5. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I think my birds enjoy wild bird seed more. I have a farm and seed store not far and I can mix my own bird seed. Or sometimes I just buy bagged stuff. Unlike scratch, you can see what's in it and know what your paying for. I don't need 40 pounds of cracked corn in a 50# bag of scratch. I also had some bird seed get wet so I threw it on the ground near the coop (before my birds arrived). They've sprouted nicely and I mow or pull up a bunch on days when they can't free range and toss them in the coop.

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    There are scratch feeds out there with more variety in them, As I mostly mix my own as well I don't usually look at the scratch when I am out buying feed. The last time I bought, it did have a few different seeds in as well as the cracked corn. I would say the quality of the scratch is likely dependent on how the company that mixes it thinks of scratch, as much as how cheap they can get the ingredients.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by