I thought she was a girl...but maybe she is a boy??? (pics added)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RIRSNCHICKENJOE, May 7, 2009.

1. RIRSNCHICKENJOE

RIRSNCHICKENJOE Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Oh boy so new to this chicken stuff. we have 7 RIR that we got when they were a week old Feb 6th. I think I may have 3 roosters... two of them I am confident are roosters... the third I thought was a pullet...however..he/shes comb was the first to develop out of all of the chicks...and its different from the other two. the other two are still smaller but have more uh...spikeyness to them. If that makes sense. I wish I had my camera so I could take some pics. Also its tail feathers look like the other two, the feathers are getting long and are a pretty blackish greenish color like the others that I think are boys. this is rough!!! [​IMG] but I am loving it!!! [​IMG]

eta...I just stole he/she out of the coop....thinking after these pics its probably a he....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree, raising chickens is so much fun!
    I would love to see pictures of your chicks!

3. RIRSNCHICKENJOE

May 5, 2009
    Quote:I forgot I took these a few weeks ago, on my webcam... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I think it is hard to tell from the pictures. Is this the same chicken in both sets of pictures? I usually try to look at stance, tail feather growt,h and at this point comb and wattles. Your chickens comb and wattles are awfully pink to be a hen. Sorry, wish I could be more help!

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    looks like a roo to me!!

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:me too

7. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Roo. Really pretty Roo!

8. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Yep I agree I say roo.

9. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    HE'S pretty!!!

sandyj

10. RIRSNCHICKENJOE

May 5, 2009
    awww, thanks ya'll!!! after spending some time this evening feeding them spaghetti... (they looooove spaghetti) I started noticing the difference between the boys and the girls. I just thought I knew for sure she was a she and not a he...but I will be happy with a he. [​IMG]
    So now for another question. I have 5 roosters...and 7 pullets...will I be okay with 2 roosters and 8 hens? (trading 3 roos for 1 pullet)

also, about the pic, I am pretty sure its the same roo in both pics. It is hard for me to tell all of my RIR apart. there is one roo that i can tell apart so far...my son named him Go Go...because he Go goes so fast... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by