1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I thought she was acting strange!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rainbowgardens, Oct 16, 2009.

1. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Got my first egg from my speckled sussex today!

I heard the egg song from her and she was walking away from the coop. She stopped and did something really strange. As she was standing there she reached down and plucked up a piece of straw and flung it onto her back. Next she picked up a feather and flung it over as well, and a leaf after that.

I had seen my dominiques doing that with the straw in their nest, but had never seen them doing it outside the coop. I went in to find the egg, but none were in the nest boxes. I found it in a little depression she made in the straw under the roosts.

Finally!!

Thanks for all of your encouragement as I waited.

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    It's neat how they make nests. I swear mine bring hay from one nest box to the other. Glad you got your egg! Now all you have to do is give her directions to the nest box! [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!

My light brahma steals eggs from other nests. She's an egg hoarder.

4. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Quote:Ah! I do too. So funny to watch a chicken stealing an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by