I thought she was eggbound... but after many attempts, nothing is working!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bethk98, Nov 2, 2013.

1. bethk98

bethk98 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2013
    I have an Americauna hen that is just about a year old. I came out today and saw her walking like a penguin, dragging her butt on the ground. I picked her up and below her vent is swollen. I followed some advice on the forums and gave her a warm bath, felt inside the vent for an egg, but didn't feel anything. She is leaking opaque white fluid a little bit and there was a bloody "string" that came out. I noticed about a week ago that she was really fluffed up but wasn't acting abnormally. I don't know what else to do and I'd hate to put her down if there is a chance she could get better. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Does she appear to strain at any time? She may hold her breath while doing this, then pant afterwards. Also, does she pant every now and then?

Is she showing appetite? Trying to get around after the others?

It's possible she may be an internal layer, and also possible that she's got a broken bone or tendon in her pelvis area. I've seen both, but if she ever straightens up and walks normally, it's not the latter. Not sure it's eggbinding but if you can answer the questions I asked, I'd have a better idea.

Best wishes.

3. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Bumping to top

4. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Hmmm. Usually a warm bath will help an eggbound chicken pass the offending egg.

Egg binding is generally connected to a lack of calcium, so sometimes providing some for the hen can help ease things as well. You can use a Tums (about one for a large fowl bird), crushed up in some yogurt.

As well, using a few drops of baby vitamins (PolyVisol is a good brand) with the Vitamin D in it can help too, as often a low calcium level is connected to low Vitamin D.

If these don't help, it may not be eggbinding you're dealing with, but perhaps something else, like a fluid buildup in the hen's abdomen, known as acites.

This is a good thread here on the BYC about acites: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/68731/laying-hens-with-water-belly-or-ascites

Good luck with her!

5. bethk98

Sep 19, 2013

Does she appear to strain at any time? She may hold her breath while doing this, then pant afterwards. Also, does she pant every now and then?

Is she showing appetite? Trying to get around after the others?

It's possible she may be an internal layer, and also possible that she's got a broken bone or tendon in her pelvis area. I've seen both, but if she ever straightens up and walks normally, it's not the latter. Not sure it's eggbinding but if you can answer the questions I asked, I'd have a better idea.

I haven't noticed any straining. This morning I checked her out and she had poop caked on the vent. As I cleaned it out I could tell she was trying to push something out, but it just looked like a bloody mass. See pic.

She has breathing heavy at times, but then she calms down. She's in a water bath right now with a towel over her head and she's making a snoring sound.

I fed her some yogurt with calcium shells in it and she ate it virasiously. She slept on the floor of the coop as opposed to the roosting or nesting areas. I didn't know if it was because she couldn't get up there. I put her up there (because it's alaska and cold) and she was on the floor again this morning. Standing facing a corner. [​IMG]

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

In that first picture it really looks more like her lower abdomen is swollen and red, like she has peritonitis and some ascites. I would definitely think there is infection inside, maybe from a broken egg or from internal laying. Has she been a regular layer up until now?
    Unfortunately the prognosis is probably not good.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  7. bethk98

Sep 19, 2013
    She just finished molting and was beginning to lay again.. although it's hard to say because I have two americaunas and it's hard to say which one lays and which one doesn't. Her "underneath the vent" area is quite swollen and hard.

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Keep giving the warm water soaks. Bring her inside,give her a calcium tablet or tums tablet,keep her somewhere dark and quiet,keep her calm. Keep her separated from other chickens,they will pick/peck at vent area possibly with dire consequences.

Is the above photo your girl,almost looks like a prolapsed vent. Here is a link for prolapse.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  9. bethk98

Sep 19, 2013
    Update: Many warm baths later, some topical antibiotic cream.. there isn't much changed. The vent is less red but that's about it. THere seems to poop caked on the underlip of the vent but I can't get it to come off.. She seems more lively and isn't ok with just sitting in a bath anymore. She also is drinking water like it's going out of style. Her tummy makes gurgling noises after eating and drinking. As of now, she's in the bathroom with a heater on and she seems quite content to be under a towel.

Hope she pulls through.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your second picture looks like the egg is right there ready to come out. Can you feel it inside the vent? Maybe lubricating with KY would help her pass it. We hope she will lay it soon (if she is egg bound.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by