1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I thought Silkies were supposed to be sweet?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luvmychicknkids, Mar 6, 2009.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    My son begged and pleaded until we got him some. We have one white and two blue. They are just hatchery birds, BTW. Anywhooooo.....the white one is very skittish and screams like you are killing her every time you touch her. One of the blue one is fairly nice, but certainly not the friendliest chick in the brooder and the other blue one pecks me constantly until I put her down. I have 13 chicks that are about 3 weeks old (or is it 4 now???), we hold them all a lot. These are the least friendly in the bunch. Where did I go wrong???

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Mine were nutcases until they laid their first egg. I swear you would have thought I was ripping their feathers out every time I got near them. Once that first egg came along they were instantly mellow. Both of them now follow me around like puppies. It helps that I shamelessly bribe them with treats.
    Both have been broody and they are the happiest, sweetest little broodies. They let me lift them up and mess with them and at the most will grumble a little.

Give it time. They are always a little froot loopy, but if they are like mine they will mellow over time. (Mine are hatchery birds too and also blue and white).

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    LOL I hope that is all it takes...though with my luck they are all roosters!!! [​IMG] It is just pitiful. He holds them and is so thrilled with the little shrieking monsters! At least he is happy!!! I am just glad they are cute (for their sake)!!!

4. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Oh we still shriek. I've decided that is just their normal sound. [​IMG]
    You should hear them after they've laid an egg. [​IMG]

5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Oh great, now I have something to really look forward to!!! LOL The worst part is, he wants the white one (her name is Alice) to live in the house!!! [​IMG] I told him we would THINK about it (to me that means most likely not, to him it is "MOM SAID YES!!!!!") and let her wear diapers! DIAPERS!!!! So a shrieking, egg laying, diapered, demonic cotton ball living in my home is what my future may hold???? [​IMG]

6. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    But it's cute....

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] TOO cute, unfortunately!!!!

8. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    My youngest is like Jack Jack from the Incredibles. He's very sweet and cute, until he's not. Then he's a human silkie.
    Earplugs, anyone?
    He's teething.

9. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    BWAAAHAAAHAAAHAAAA!
    Wait until she goes broody and you can't break her of it. Picture a very determined, sneaky little cotton ball that WILL, by golly, hatch something.

HeHeHeHe!
    [​IMG]

10. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    These sound like charming little birds.
    Like avian piranhas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by