1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I thought the heat lamp wasn't supposed to keep them awake?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by potocki99, Dec 13, 2012.

1. potocki99

potocki99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Northern Michigan
    So we installed a heat lamp the other day to offset the chilly weather, but my chickens are up all the time. As soon as I walked out to close the door up, they came running out. I went in to the coop to check on them and they were all up and about. I thought the red lamp wasn't supposed to affect them? Oh, and two were still out in the run which is completely weird. THoughts?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well, chicks will continue to feed and run around when raised under a red heat lamp, so I can't see why adult birds would be any different, but then again I've never used heat on adult birds.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's precisely why I've decided to forego the heat lamp this winter. For the past several years, I've used the red 250 watt lamp on a timer, not only to warm the coop during the coldest hours of the night, but to add artificial light so they'll lay through the winter. The biggest problem I've encountered has been that the hens all decide to get down and party when the lamp comes on. By morning, the coop is a horrible, disastrous mess. It worked great, though, for stimulating them to lay through winter.

This year, I'm using an oil-filled electric heater to take the coop above freezing. It's working far better than the light. Sure, none of the girls are laying, but I figure they'll appreciate the rest. And the coop doesn't suffer from their nightly partying.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I don't use heat of any kind in my coops. I want my chickens acclimated to the cold weather. What happens if your electricity goes out on a very cold day? You'll have a bunch of chickens not used to the cold, having to suddenly deal with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by