I thought these were Leghorns, but I'm not sure.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PattiS72, Feb 24, 2015.

1. PattiS72

PattiS72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Old Town, FL
    They are about twice the size of my others. Can you help?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They may be White Plymouth Rocks, or possibly Cornish X.

3. PattiS72

Mar 9, 2011
    Old Town, FL
    thank you. I'll go look them up.

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    x2

5. PattiS72

Mar 9, 2011
    Old Town, FL
    Now I'm not sure if they are the White Plymouth Rocks or the Cornish. Mine are (or were) big bullies to the smaller ones. So much so, my hubby let them out of the coop to be free range, until they were getting into everything and onto everything, so we put them in our small coop (waiting for my brother in law to come get them--not sure when). When they were in the big coop--they would fly up and bite me in my arms. The hens were late in laying I think--about 10-11 months old. Once in a while I will get two eggs (one from each hen), sometimes only one egg one day then another egg the next day. Yesterday I got two eggs (btw they are light brown to brown). This morning I got one, went to feed again this evening and got two more. I check for eggs from all chickens twice a day.

6. PattiS72

Mar 9, 2011
    Old Town, FL
    what's "Cornish X" or "x2" mean?

7. Baizer84

Baizer84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Hamilton, TX
    Cornish X is Cornish Cross. It's a meat bird that is a cross between a Plymouth Rock and a Cornish. They are commercial meat birds.

X2 means that they are in agreement as in there are 2 people who agree. Times2 is how you should read that.

Cornish crosses tend to have LOTS of trouble getting around. Do your birds?

8. PattiS72

Mar 9, 2011
    Old Town, FL
    Well, we originally had 6 of the white birds--(they were unsexed when we got them--ended up with 4 roos and 2 hens) but two died. The first one started having trouble standing or walking....I'd pick him up and put him to the food and he'd be fine--that was the first day, second day he ended up dying. The second one had the same symptoms about a week later and died. The others have been fine.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like they're cornish cross, the classic meat bird in the US right now. If they were Rocks, they'd be the same size as the rest of your flock.

10. Baizer84

Baizer84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Hamilton, TX
    Yep. They need to be eaten. They won't live long and will always have issues. Just process em.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by