I thought they all tasted like, well chicken!

denim deb

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 15, 2010
Ok, I'll admit to being new to this. So far, I haven't butchered any birds, though I do have 2 that may be going to freezer camp. But, the thread on the silkie being cooked for Halloween got me curious. Some people were asking what they tasted like. I've always assumed that all chickens taste the same, but that some might be tougher, and better for stewing because of being older. So, do not all chickens taste the same?

I think I may have damaged taste buds myself. My 1st home grown birds (20 wk DP, not CX) tasted, well....like chicken.
hu.gif

I can see a huge difference in appearance, but had I been blindfolded, I'm not sure I could have picked out store bought from home grown based off taste. I haven't processed any of our Silkies yet, but I've one to go with the next batch of excess roos. I expect him to just taste like regular chicken.

Probably should add, I don't remember the last time I bought or ate any white meat. Even fried chicken, we all like dark. The breasts and tenders I bagged together and gave to my mother. I could say, maybe that the "chicken" taste was stronger or a little more pronounced, but not anything radically different. Like if you let the storebought sit in the fridge for a few days vs cooking right away and the raw poultry smell and flavor becomes stronger.

I can always point out the age of a chicken when eating it. Most CX that are cooked without seasonings are pretty much a plain tender chicken (leg meat is more flavorful than breast). For older roosters and hens the flavor is more dense and the meat has more bite to it.

This has been asked a LOT in this area... heard quite a few folks say Marans are yummy... then there's the ones that feed certain things and that adds a flavor... just cruise through the Meat Bird topics and you'll find a lot of info.

I wonder, has anyone ever cooked birds the same to see eye to eye the difference? Like one Maran and one Cornish X and maybe even a store bought... all prepared the same way... cooked the same way... so the only possible difference is inherent bird taste? I was pondering this the other day... thought it'd be nifty to try if we ever get somewhere where we can raise our own meaties.

I donno but I swear there was a topic here, within the last month maybe, where someone had done this or known someone who swore by it... problem is I can't recall if it was chickens or turkeys... and WHAT it was they were feeding... dernit.

Many feel the taste varies. I can tell the CX birds that free ranged and ate grasses and bugs from those batches that I had to keep cooped up. I have done few heritage breeds but they are darker meat, less of it and stronger taste IMO. There are breeds of chicken more popular in Europe that are all dark meat and said to be more game like in taste, so similar to the grouse.

I think in many dishes it could be hard to tell, but if you just bake a chicken breast it's noticeable. Putting a few of them side by side would be fun. I have only done that with this year's and last years sort of taste test, and that's why I'm sure them free ranging matters.

HAHA it's SO nice to know when one of my ideas isn't totally nuts... or at least that I'm not the only one who thought of it/tried it.
big_smile.png

We're all dark meat lovers here so the CornishX isn't some big tadoo to me... hence my junk in the trunk question...

Back
Top Bottom