I thought this was an australorp but i may be an ameraucana. PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by boykin2010, Jan 12, 2011.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    [​IMG]

This isnt a picture of my chicken but it is one i found on google images that looks exactly like the one i have now. Someone gave me 4 chickens about 5 or 6 months ago and i gave away all but 1. The owner told me that they were all purebred australorps. Well now the one i have now is 8 or 9 months old hen and it has a pea comb and muffs on its face like my easter egger. Can any of you please tell me from the pic i attached if this is a black australorp or an ameraucana.
    The thing that really caught my attention was when i got 2 blue/green eggs the other day and i have only 1 easter egger. ( so i thought )
    But even weirder than that the new green egg i got was a double yolker the first time it layed an egg! I cant believe i didnt notice it earlier than this but the chicken i have has muffs, a pea comb and blue legs. Arent these typical signs of an easter egger?

Thanks in advance, boykin 2010

2. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Not an australorp (we have them) ... they don't have the tufts around the face. Could be an egger but I've never seen a pure black one before. Anybody else?

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    That's def not an Australorp.... [​IMG]

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    That picture is a black Ameraucana. If your girl layed a green egg she is probably an EE. What color are her legs? Some of the newer color Ameraucana's lay greenish eggs but a black one should lay a blue egg.

5. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Her legs are blue and she isnt solid black. You would never be able to see it in the picture but on the side of her neck is 3 or 4 orange stripes about an inch long. She just has a little orange on her but she is mostly black. Whatever is laying the mystery egg is laying a GREEN egg. It is actually very dark compared to my blue eggs. I will post a pic of the egg she laid that was a double yolker if i can get to a pic.

6. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    [​IMG]

the mystery egg is on the left. i have a white polish egg in the middle for comparison. On the right is the normal blue egg i get almost everyday from the white easter egger

7. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    anybody else?

8. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    [​IMG] I want a blue egg layer so badly!!![​IMG]

9. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    She's an EasterEgger, NOT an Ameraucana from your description.

10. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    ok. Can you tell 100% from the picture that she is NOT an australorp and that she does lay a blue/green egg...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by