I thought turkeys like to roost?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Maryallison, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    So when we built "turkey town" my husband made our turkey trio a really nice stable roost. They have yet to use it! [​IMG] It is a great size and I just know they could jump up there if they wanted... We did put Teresa on it once and she just looked scared... Does anyone elses turkeys sit or sleep on a roost?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    How old are your birds? They may not be old enough yet to want to roost.

3. tannersmith2000

tannersmith2000 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2009
    All my turkeys roost, even the four week old poults roost on a little roost I built for them in their brooder.[​IMG]

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Mine go into their pen at night and have two roosts. One at five feet and another at nine feet. They prefer the nine ft. one. If for some reason the tom decides on trying to stay out...he roosts on top of the roll bar on my dh's tractor. Of course, I chase him down but he leaves "gifts" for my dh on his tractor seat [​IMG] Thank goodness, dh is a kind and patient man.

5. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    All mine roost and did at a young age. I do have stairs up to the roost for those that are to heavy to fly to the high pearches.

6. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Hmmm, my turkeys are 2 years old and still no roosting. I had a chat with them today and just can't figure it out....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by