I told myself this wouldn't happen....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gek600, Mar 20, 2011.

1. gek600

gek600 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2010
    Ellicott City
    This darn chicken math is working its way into my head! I said I would have only 15 chickens + 1 guinea.... about that.... I now have 11 chicks in the brooder, 2 older chicks in the outside brooder, 2 laying hens and one guinea plus Im getting 5 more chicks at the end of the month and 2 more guineas and there is talk of ducks!!!! [​IMG] I read so much about it and said it wont happen; it wont happen; it wont happen! It was my mantra while at TSC and the local feed store. I failed. On the plus side I have yet to get yelled at by anyone I for sure thought I was going to get it today when I showed up with a new silkie to add to the family [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I don't even bother listening to myself when the Voice of Reason is talking, any more. I am hatching my own, and certainly don't need any more feed store chicks. But the first time I see sexed pullet chicks in a breed I do not have in my flock, I will want them because they're RIGHT THERE to get, no waiting to find eggs and incubating them to get straight run chicks.

Luckily, I have more breeds than most feed stores carry. But when I lost my BR, I needed to replace her. And you cannot buy just one chick, y'know....

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    hmmm hmmm, chicken math is a hard thing to fight. i wanted 4 hens, bantams, and that was it. now, five years later, i have nearly thirty....

4. harvster

harvster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    SE PA
    I have only five chicks coming and I'm already planning on a coop for 8-10.[​IMG]

5. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Ah, yes. I was going to have "only 10". Ba hahahaha! [​IMG] That lasted about three months. Of course 7/10 were roosters. So I had to get more pullets . . . and then I discovered silkies . . .

Oh well! What's a chickaholic to do? [​IMG] 'Cept get more chickens?!! [​IMG]

6. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    LOL! I thought for sure my husband would KILL me when I went from 4 chickens to 11!!! Instead of killing me...cause I told him over the phone...and he hung up on me... he then called me back and argued with my step-son over who was going to name the new chicks! Gotta LOVE chicken math!

7. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Chicken math? Psssh! Who needs that?!? [​IMG]
    [​IMG] It worked its magic on me...because my "only 10 BRs" turned into 10 BRs, 6 RIR, 6 assorted bantams (including 3 silkies! [​IMG] ), 28 quail, and 3 new turkeys. [​IMG]

8. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    My husband doesn't like my math. I was going to start with 12-15. I have 22 and I want to pick up another 12-15 out of TSC's "Breed Of The Week" bin - when they get a breed I want. My husband is complaining about my math, but he's being tolerant. I was good today, just to ease the chicken related tension between us.. I went to TSC and saw they had Commercial Blacks (Black Sex-Links?). I don't have any black chickens yet... I walked away and I was so proud of myself!

9. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    That is the HARDEST thing to do....LEAVE TSC WITH NO PEEPING BOX! I was going to have 28 chickens and 3 ducks....I now have 32 chickens outside...and 41 chicks inside....6 ducks outside....4 ducklings inside...18 turkey poults coming in april along with 4 MORE chicks and 6 MORE ducklings.... [​IMG] I LOVE chicken math!!

10. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    ok I started with 2 now I have 20 chiskens outside 4 ducks outside 2 just went out this week that I hatched in January from our ducks. In the house we have 22. 2 D'Anvers that are DD's, 3 Cochin bantams that I hatched from January egg swap,5 that I hatched from February egg swap last weekend and 10 bantams that I got from Cackle when DDs and I went to St. Louis last weekend, and 4 ducks that hatched last weekend. Some of these will have to go cause some will be boys so that means if I see more that I cant live without I can get them RIGHT??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by