1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

I took a chance and suceeded. Woohoo!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tony, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Tony

Tony Songster

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    I hatched 10 out of 12 eggs without turning them at all, not even once. Why? You ask???
    I had bought eggs from 3 different people, by the time they arrived including the extras they sent, my bator was full.
    My egg turner holds 42 eggs, so I really had no room left for the last 12, so I figured instead of tossing and wasteing them, I would just set them in an egg carton wedged where ever I could find room in the incubator. I figured it was worth a try and it worked out pretty well.
    The lesson to be learned here is: Never count your eggs before you receive them, due to the wonderful generosity of these 3 sellers sending me lots of extras, I almost had to waste a dozen eggs. [​IMG]

2. Apprentice_egger

Apprentice_egger Songster

Nov 26, 2009
    Morrisville, Vermont
    I think the better lesson to take from this is to be thankful for a good hatch. It sounds like a small miracle that you have healthy birds. [​IMG]

3. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    grats. Just curious though, why didnt you turn them by hand?? I do, 4-5 times a day.

4. chaneg78

chaneg78 Songster

Sep 7, 2009
    Hudson IN
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  5. Tony

Tony Songster

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Apprentice, I don`t know about a miracle, I like to think I got SKILLS, the Midas Touch you might say. lol j/k

Cluck, you`re right, I could have turned them by hand. But I think my curiousity got the best of me and I wondered if they`d hatch without being turned. Of course I candled them along the way and saw they were developing, so I just left them alone to see what would happen.

Thanks Chaneg78 [​IMG]

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    After reading about all the defects improper turning during incubation can cause I wouldnt dream of not giving my eggs the best chance to hatch and use both an automatic turner- and turn some manually when needed. You should count yourself very lucky that you didnt end up with DIS and deformed chicks.

7. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    Congrats on the good hatch Tony!
    I think you tilted the egg carton around into different positions and got the same effect of the egg turner.
    That's what I'm experimenting with right now - I have over 50 eggs in my new homemade incubator without turners and I just have them in egg cartons and am tilting them different directions 2-3 times a day. I just set them on the 19 so I will know how good that is in a few days when I candle.

8. Tony

Tony Songster

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Chic, Thank you for the congrats.
    I placed them in the egg carton, but didn`t tilt it at all. The eggs stayed perfectly still except for the 3 times when I candled them on days 7, 14 and 18.
    Good luck with yours. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by