1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I took a risk today...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by michellers, Mar 3, 2013.

1. michellers

michellers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Wisconsin
    and went to my first "Tractor Supply Company" store to see some ducklings and baby chicks they got in this week. Closest store is a little over 45 minutes away, but it was worth it to see them in person!

[​IMG]

I was good and didn't take any home. Not yet anyways. I am sticking to my plan of building my ideal duck coop, research more, and have all my "ducks in a row". Sorry, I couldn't resist that last part.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I bet that was hard to resist, but bravo to you for getting your [er] ducks in a row first so to speak. [​IMG] and [​IMG]

3. michellers

Feb 10, 2013
    Wisconsin

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Super cute! but man, they sure pack 'em in.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thats one reason I stay far away during chick days, I usually get upset about something and have to say so. just best I stay away.

6. michellers

Feb 10, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I definitely see your point on that. They had 6 stock tanks in a pen, but this was the only one with ducks in it. The rest were different types of chickens.

I'm mostly interested in Blue Swedish ducks, so it looks like I will be ordering online when that time comes. I'm anxious for the snow to melt away and the temperatures to rise so I can start building my duck coop! Can't quite do what I want with 8" or so of snow in the way!

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That does present a problem, won't be long now before spring will be here, I am so ready.

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Its GREAT to see someone researching and preparing first!!!! So many people post "I went to TSC and they were so cute". Then its how do I take care of them?

Since you've basically decided on a breed you can start looking at where you'd like to buy them. TSC will order them for you (I think you have to get 25) but they are straight run. Your best bet will be decide how many ducks you want total, if you want to breed and raise ducklings and then order an appropriate number of males and females. 1 male to 3-6 females is usually a good ratio. Ordering sexed is a little more costly but you don't run into the I have 1 female and 4 males problem later. Good luck with getting your coop ready.

9. rubberduckies

rubberduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Kentucky
    I ordered my ducklings from Ideal Poultry. They were about $5 each. The small package fee and shipping is around $12 I think. You have to spend a minimum of $25 but that's easy. I got 9 chicks as packing peanuts. I live in a farming community so it was easy to sell them for $20. (Made a little of my money back). I definitely recommend Ideal. Amazing costumer service and great shipping. All 14 babies made it here safe and healthy within 48 hours of hatching. And I agree about getting your ducks in a row. I did my research first too. It's so much better to know what to expect.

10. michellers

Feb 10, 2013
    Wisconsin
    My years of volunteering with a couple dog rescues probably has helped/prevented me from getting ducks before I am really ready. I don't want to be in the position where I am in over my head and my ducks are not given the best life that they deserve.

I'm planning on ordering two females online. I have a student's father who has chickens, so I might talk with him within the next few weeks to see if he is interested in more chicks and we could order together so that they can travel in a larger group versus just the two ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by