I took care of 2 attacking roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kipepeo, Jun 1, 2010.

1. kipepeo

kipepeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    Well I finally got the guts to get rid of them. The one attacked me when I was on the riding lawn mowere yesterday and drew blood in 3 places on my leg. He hadn't been much of a problem when he was on the top of the pecking order but he got dethroned and seemed a little nuts and then I got rid of the other one that had taken over. I am giving my 2 black langshans to my friend so the only adult rooser I have is a blue cochin. I have a blue laced red wyandotte youngster and a striped cochin youngster for standards to deal with hopefully they will do all right when moved over to the other coop.

This did not go well. I had wanted to break necks but reading on here deterred me from that so I bought a hatchet. I stunned them and then used it but it did not work the way I thought it should or I sucked at it I don't know but it was a bit tramatizing for me. I will leave it at that in the future I may get somone else to do it if I need it done.

[​IMG]

2. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    The hatchet is a traumatic method for me. I prefer to use the cone method. Just hang them upside down for a minute or two, slide them into the cone, pull the head down out of the bottom of the cone. Use a very sharp knife and just make a quick slice of the jugular. Then leave them in the cone for 5-10 minutes. They are restrained in the cone and so don't flap and run around. Also, I remove the head while still in the cone because one time, while plucking, I pushed on the belly of the chicken and chicken noises came out of his mouth.

GJ getting it done though, you may have had the most traumatic experience with them now so you're experienced!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by