I took My chicken to the vet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coyote826, Aug 1, 2011.

1. coyote826

coyote826 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Flagler County, FL
    I have 5 healthy chickens thriving in the same coop (2Roos and 3Hens). 7/1/2011 I picked up a young hen at a local breeder. Thanks to this wonderful web site I knew to quarantine her. I noticed she had a runny stinky nose so I treated her with 2 different antibiotics. Duramycin for 1 week and sol-met for 3 days. She did not improve. Knowing that I will probably always have chickens I took the plunge and brought her to a local vet that is willing to treat chickens in Deland, FL. They took a swab of her nares and narrowed her strain of bacterial infection down so we started her on Doxy. To pin point the exact bug the testing would have costed $400 which I am not prepared to spend. I am hoping she responds to the Doxy and can live a happy healthy life. She will have several more weeks of being in quarantine. The vet was wonderful the bill wasnt too bad and I left with peace of mind. Just wanted to share my experience.
    Thanks!!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A good vet, for any animal, is worth their weight in gold.

Imp

btw- hope your chicken is OK.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ditto above.

Hope she'll be okay! [​IMG]

JJ

4. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Quote:Would you mind sharing how much was the vet bill? Just curious and for reference.

5. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    I hope your chicken recovers! [​IMG]

I took my 5 year old BO hen to the vet last week, too. She had a bubbly eye and puffy face. She is being treated for a respiratory infection. It turns out the poor thing had several things going on. I have only had her 2.5 months, and the vet said her issues have been brewing for much longer than that. That made me feel a little better, since I was afraid I was doing a terrible job taking care of her (I am a chicken newbie). She has arthritis, which I knew. She also had a lot of lice/mites.

ECBW, this is how my bill broke down. I know, it's a small fortune. But it was a huge learning experience...
    - Emergency visit $132
    - Throat culture $110
    - Metacam oral medication $17
    - Tylosin oral medication $33
    - Ivermectin oral medication $16
    - Sinuses flushed out $55
    - Tylosin 1 dose injected $33

So, the bill was nearly $400. But, my hen is doing well! [​IMG] Her comb, face and waddles are bright red again. She is still a bit congested, though. I'm planning to give her some injected doses of Tylan once I get it in the mail. The metacam is helping her arthritis tremendously! I had no idea she'd be able to move as well as she is now. I haven't gotten the results from the throat culture yet. And I did order some Tylan and syringes online. I want to be prepared for next time. Hopefully, I'll be able to avoid any more costly vet visits! I only have 4 chickens, so I'd really like to keep them as long as possible. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. coyote826

coyote826 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Flagler County, FL
    Other than being lonely in isolation she seems to be doing well.
    My vet bill came to $132.90
    $54 exam
    $40 cytology in house
    $24.70 intestinal parasite exam
    $14.20 Doxycycline
    I am comforted in knowing others take their chicks to the vet too.
    Thanks everyone for responding.

7. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I don't see a charge for a culture on that invoice. If they didn't culture the sample, there is no way of knowing what is the appropriate antibiotic, and they are just guessing. And a culture does not cost $400!! Around here a culture with sensitivity testing is about $125.
    I'm just sayin.....

8. tmasker

tmasker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Central Florida
    I would be very interested to know the name of the vet in Deland...Have had to deal with a sick Polish Chicken, who thankfully recovered!

Best of luck with the recovery of your chicken! [​IMG]

9. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Thanks for posting.

It is hard to find a vet who will work on chickens (around here). Like you, I paid more in vet bills and medications than I paid for the chickens, but I also think it was worth it. Perhaps that is one of the reasons that most people 'DIY' chicken treatment.

Hope that your birds continue to recover.

10. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Not trying to be a killjoy, but I have read on BYC that some respiratory infections will heal in the bird, but the bird can become a carrier and infect the others in the flock when she is introduced to them. I think I would introduce her to one other chicken for a couple of weeks before adding her to the whole flock. It sounds awful, but it would be better to lose one chicken than all of them if she does become a carrier of some awful disease. I think it was CRD or something like that (it was initials). Maybe someone can chime in with better info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by