I TOOK MY SON TO COLLEGE... IT IS VERY HARD !!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by peepsnbunnies, Aug 24, 2007.

1. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Well we did it....... We took my son to college yesterday. Thank heavens he is only about 3-4 hours away and can come home sometimes. He and I are very close. He is my only child and it was hard to do. It did not hit me so hard until this morning [​IMG] He was so excited yesterday, and his roommate seems like a really nice young man. He is from Brunei, which is in Southeast Aisa. Very interesting. He said his flight took 26 hours! He came alone, I know he must be overwhelmed and a little homesick. He has no one here in the USA. I want to make up a care package to send to both of them, not sure what to put in it as I am sure my son is getting more sugary junk food than he should ever eat. Any suggestions, my brain is not working too well. [​IMG]
    My son got me started in chickens. He had some for a 4-H project. Now I have inherited his chickens and I just love them. I inherited all the 4-H bunnies too, 8 of them! I probly have more chickens than I should, but who cares! They are great conversationalists, my lap silkies just sit there making little sweet clucking noises as I talk to them. It is almost like they are answering me. [​IMG] Maybe I need to get another cup of java and go see the girls, they love it when I come bringing them extra treats. :|

2. User48

User48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2007
    If you're a reader, I would head to a book store and pick up several good books. Have you read the Harry Potter books yet? They'll get you well on your way to another world, and this sad period will pass sooner than you think. Before long, it will be Thanksgiving & Christmas, and luckily your son is not terribly far away. When I went to college, I was incredibly homesick, and I'm sure your son will experience some of that. By next fall, though, you'll both be more "ready" and it won't be nearly as hard. Hey, I have a 5 yo daughter who just started kindergarten, and it was hard sending her off on the first day even though she's my second child - I don't think these transitions are ever easy, even if it's your 5th or 6th child. On the other hand, as hard as certain milestones are they're also very hopeful & positive too. If you let yourself get transported away from your sadness for a bit - whether it's through Harry Potter, another good book, or maybe a bunch of rented movies - I think when you get back to "here," you'll be more keyed into the positive end of things. Congrats on sending your son on his way. His roommate sounds very interesting!! The sadness will pass. [​IMG]

Laura

3. peepsnbunnies

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Thanks Laura,
    I spent the rest of the morning with the chickie girls in the yard and did some rearranging of the showgirl chicks I have. They are several different ages and are not ready to go out with the big girls yet. A book sound real good. One of my favorite things to do is during the spring and fall when the weather is wonderful, is sit in the yard with the chickens and read. Wish it wasn't so hot right now. My son called a little while ago, he's great and I am fine. Have a great day! [​IMG]

4. LuckysMom

LuckysMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    South Carolina
    Oh I know what you are going through! We took my daughter to Charleston for college last weekend. We've called or emailed each other every night this week. Not that she's ready to come home or anything, but we miss each other.
    As far as a care package, did he take everything with him that you would normally have around the house? Things like sponges, windex, paper towels, kleenex, safety pins, ziploc containers, etc? Maybe he needs some of that kind of stuff. I'm already putting together a box of stuff my daughter forgot, like a cable for her VCR for example.

5. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    My son moved to his new home on Tuesday. Actually, I did more grieving before he went (i.e., this is the last time I'll be folding his clothes, last time making him scrambled eggs after work, last time praying with him at bedtime, etc.) than afterwards. He will be 19 in Oct. He is starting college next week, but it's not far away. He had an offer from a friend to move in with him and it will save him a lot of gas. It's sad though, because it's not like he'll be coming home for some weeks at Christmas and in the summer. He is home now! But he said he'll come see us on Sundays. I hope he still does. We went to the restaurant tonight where he and his sister both work (he starts his new job close to his new home next Wed.), and he has SHAVED HIS HEAD! Some dumb boys at work told him they'd give him $10 if he'd shave it, so he did. If that's the worst thing he ever does, we'll be glad, though. [​IMG]

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I understand how you feel. This coming Thursday my 21 year old daughter(only child) will be leaving for her senior year of college. We live in Pennsylvania and she goes to college in Hawaii! [​IMG] Her first year she came home once, for a month at Christmas and then for the Summer. Her 2nd year she was an exchange student at a University in Japan and was gone for 11 months. Then another year in Hawaii. After her senior year she plans on moving back to Japan to work for a few years. It is really hard to let them go, but it is amazing how mature she has become over the past 3 years. And "WOW" what wonderful experiences she has had! The one thing that makes it "easier" on me is having email and a cell phone. It is a standard cell phone call for us and we talk frequently!

7. peepsnbunnies

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Wow SgtMom,
    How wonderful for your daughter! You will certainly not hear anymore whining from me. My hat is off to you for being able to let her do those things and still stay sane. I was a little blue yesterday, better today. It has not been bad yet. I am sure things will be fine, all I have to do is think about you and your daughter. I wish all the best to her, sounds like she is squared away and knows what shes doing. Good for her!
    Thanks for your encouragement!

Lisa [​IMG]

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Never fear, mom! You've spent 18 years training him up. He'll be okay. (I'm a college professor. We'll take care of him. [​IMG]

As for the care package, do you make a favorite treat that he loves? Can you mail his favorite cookies or cupcakes? My experience with college boys is that they are always hungry! Maybe send gift cards to Walmart or McDonalds? I remember when I was in college that I had an aunt mail me $20 bills periodically. Money was always tight. It was always such a surprise and a very tangible reminder that she was thinking of me and praying me through school.
    Maybe make him a photo book of your favorite shots of him with his family. At 18 he's probably too cool to hang pics of his family around the dorm room, but a small book would be cool. You might try doing one on Shutterfly or ofoto. They're cool and you can add words and stuff. (I made one for my mother for Christmas and she loved it. She has now requested one every Christmas! Granted, she's not 18...[​IMG])
    Don't worry about him eating too much junk. He'll figure it out soon enough. If not, he likely has access to a fabulous student gym! M&Ms from mom are never a bad choice. You can even get them made with sayings of your own on them. Check out the M&M website. Pricey, but cute! Oops, sorry... pricey, but very manly. [​IMG]
    Good luck with the withdrawal. It'll get easier. Maybe you should get more chickens...

9. peepsnbunnies

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Hey I like the way you think! Great ideas! I know he will be in good hands there. But we are very close and do everything and go everywhere together. The college he is going to is small, 5000 students, and the faculty and staff were very helpful and friendly. It was a 3 day event with orientations, registration, check into dorm, dinner for parents and students. We had a great time. I never realized it would be so involved and I didn't expect to be treated so nicely or to have so much interaction with the faculty. I know he will be fine there.

10. Amanda

Amanda Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2007
    Dayton, MN
    My son is still at home, but I have some ideas for care packages.
    Favorite personal care products (shampoo, soap etc), clean bedding, gift cards to grocery store, gas cards, phone cards, a jar filled with little "remember when we/you..." notes. And remember this is why the last 18 years have been so hard, (to make it easier to have them gone). You can and should give yourself more attention with your new free time. You have worked hard to get him where he is.
    Hope this helps.
    Amanda [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by