I took the plunge & got them - 6 chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Young MacDonald, May 2, 2009.

1. Young MacDonald

Young MacDonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Hi, I live in the suburbs of St. Louis. I've been reading this site for several weeks and even posted about building a coop. Last night, I went to Tractor Supply Company to buy some cattle panels for the run. I'm planning on getting some 10 week old pullets from a woman in a nearby suburb.

Still planning on that, but last night was a major change. One of my children came with me to TSC. I had no intention of getting chicks, but my son saw them and pleaded so we came home with 6 chicks in addition to the run materials and feed.

I'm not even sure what kind they are. They were in a bin of pullets that said "whites and reds." We got the reds. The kid at the store said they were probably Rhode Island Reds, but I'm not sure. A few of them have some yellowish feathers too. I guess we'll see as it goes.

Anyway, all of them survived the night, despite my cat hanging around the box. We covered the box with hardware cloth and put a heat lamp up.

So, to everyone here. Thanks for all the info and greetings, I'm sure I'll be here asking questions and experiencing this process with you.

2. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Welcome to chickendom!! [​IMG] I hope everything goes well for you. I am fairly new as well, but you have found the right place to be!!

3. thomi

thomi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    Elgin, SC
    Congrats and welcome to the family. Our day old chicks turn 11 weeks old this Tuesday and we never lost a one. The gang here on BYC has excellent advice on just about everything chicken. Just keep 'em warm, fed and watered and they will do just fine. Most of all, enjoy them every chance you can.

Thom and Donna

4. wohneli

wohneli Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    Welcome to the fluffy-butt addicts club!!!

5. Lady Henevere

Lady Henevere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Los Angeles County
    Quote:There's a "What breed or gender is this?" section somewhere around here (look through the index). If you post pictures, others can help you figure out the breed of the chicks. Have fun, and congrats on the chicks!

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Congratulations! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Welcome! I LOVE your name!! [​IMG]

8. charliesgirl

charliesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MN
    CONGRATS!!!! soon you will be just as nuts as everyone else here!!! (thats a compliment) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by