I trhink this was a good trade..whatcha think?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by justusnak, Jun 6, 2008.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

So, there is this young man in the next town from me...about 4 miles...that used to raise pheasants and quail. He no longer raises them, and called me one day to see of I was interested in a few of his old pens. I went to look at them and of course I wanted them. So I asked how much? He said...nothing, just take them. Well...there is a lot of money and time in these pens..so I told him I could not take them for free....but would give him 3 hens and a rooster. He agreed. He got my Langshans....this is what I got.
    This is the front of one pen..was for quail. There are several seperate pens in there, and all have nipple waterers that are gravity fed into by a plastic water drum
    [​IMG]
    The back showing the pvc pipe.
    [​IMG]
    This next one was for a rabbit. I am going to use it for a broody pen. The blue barrell is for the first pen.
    [​IMG]
    The next 2 pens I took apart, and will use the welded wire fencing for my new coop, over the windows and vents.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This next pen is my FAVORITE!! I used it last tuesday to move my cornish cross to the processor. It fits in the bed of my S10, with the tailgate down, and 21 cornish cross fit in there very comfortably.
    [​IMG]

So, we BOTH think we each got the better end of the deal. He got a few hens and a rooster. I got free pens, AND opened up a breeder pen of mine, for more chickens! LOL

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  2. jhill1440

jhill1440 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2008
    Central Texas
    Hello,

I'd say you both did good. You got them out of his yard which is what he wanted and he got a few chickens for it. Good trade.

peace
    josh

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Ugh! You did very well!! Why can't I get deals like that?? LOL

It was very nice of you to trade him some chickens.. The Quail pen looks well designed.. I'll have to use your picture to help design some of my own.. LOL

-Kim

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Oh wow... I want the quail pens!!!! OK... revise that... I NEED the quail pens!!! You did good... they look weathered, but look like good solid construction. Are you into quail?

5. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hey Deb, major score !!!! you're so lucky [​IMG]
    I think you got the better end of the deal.
    Good things happen to good people... [​IMG]
    Miriam

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Score, Deb!!!

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have no interest in quail....but I was thinking i might use that as a breeder pen for my silkie/frizzles. I dont know....maybe I will sell it...Right now, its just sitting there in the weeds..I really need to get some paint on it..to keep it in good shape. Its very sturdy...and H E A V Y !!I was thinking of useing the nipple waterers in my new coop. He gave me a bag of the nipples as well. I think there are 6 or 7 in there. I have to go back next week to pick up a BUNCH of PVC pipe as well. Can full size chickens use nipple waterers??

8. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    that's good trade

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by