1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Tried Candling (with pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ContessaKris, Jul 27, 2011.

1. ContessaKris

ContessaKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    We tried on day 4, to see if we could see anything. Nothing. So hard with brown eggs too.

We tried again on day 11. We took pics of these. Hard to take pics when I've never taken pics of eggs before. I'll practice for next time I guess. These are the best ones that came out, although we candled all 10 eggs (one at a time with the rest in the incubator inbetween. Didn't want to hurt them, leaving them all out.) Don't know if any of these mean chicks or boiled eggs or just bad pics. Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
  3. ContessaKris

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    Quote:Yes, I've looked at that page but its so hard to compare. I didn't see a lot of really dark black spots, and no spider veining in mine. I do have larger areas of dark areas, and saw a few large round things. So hard. I'm hoping its very easy on the 18th day to tell, maybe hoping for movement. That way we'll know what to take out and what to leave.

4. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    It's very hard to tell from those pics but the second to last looks as though it is full of bacteria. If they are all dark you might not see veins. If they are not dark and you don't see veins then I am sorry to say but at 11 days they are no good.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  5. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    I have found on day 18 you will be able to tell the ones that didn't develop at all and big dark eggs. I had to look real close to see the movement in mine. But if they are big and have dark blobs I incubate them anyway just in case moving or not.

6. gypsymoonfarm

gypsymoonfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    I have a great way to candle and it's so easy my children do it.

Take a pen flashlight. They're long and thin, like a pen. Go into a completely dark room. Set the egg on the end of the light and put your hand around about half of it. Then spin it until you see red veins. It worked on all my eggs except a weird brown one that was dotted and dark.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    OP, I, too, am having trouble trying to understand the odd blobs that I see. The pictures so kindly posted don't match all the variations I see. I decided to just wait and see what happens. Hope rules. GL

8. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I have read this whole thread and dying to know what is happening! Did everyone give up?? [​IMG]

9. ContessaKris

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    Quote:My eggs are in lockdown. I candled them before putting them in and really, I only saw a couple big blobs that could potentially be chicks, but I just wasn't sure with the brown eggs. So hard to tell. So I put them all in lockdown. Tomorrow is day 21, I'm hoping for maybe 1? We'll see. Nothing is happening right now...

10. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

It is very hard to learn what you are looking at.

I try to not check until day 18 for chicken eggs.

I taught myself by comparison candling. I would set 6-12 eggs and candle on day 10 & 18 to see the differences. I used a pencil and numbered the eggs, so after candling I could jot down notes about what I saw in each egg. Day 10 you can usually see a floating 'dot' or spot and blood veins. Day 18 the egg should be mostly dark with the air cell clearly visible. I say this because with shipped eggs, sometimes the air cell is on the side. Sometimes the eggs will develop anyway, sometimes not.

I use a mini maglite to candle. I like it the best.....I don't have to make a candling box for the bantam eggs I hatch [​IMG]

Give the hatch at least until day 22 [​IMG] some are slow --- depends on how steady your temps were also [​IMG]

Probably wrong but from what I can tell in your pictures...

Picture #1 - probably developing - cannot tell where air cell is though
    Picture #2 - I would say not developing. Looks like a shipped egg with a detached air cell. But it could be the picture too.
    Picture #3 - probably developing - although could be just a darker yolk, or a bad egg. cannot tell where air cell is.
    Picture #4 - very porous shell - probably will not develop - if it does, it probably will not hatch. I have some develop occasionally like this but have not hatched one yet.
    Picture #5 - probably developing

ETA: I cannot tell if any were quitters, [​IMG] Good luck with your hatch!!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by