I tried For bedding

thebyrdsx5

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Just wanted to share, I'm not super experienced at Chicks. I have raised a few but not hundreds. I always seem to have some croak, they stink if they are in the house. Typically I use newspaper for the brooder cage. Well I decided to try Sod! My thought behind it was they need some small grit or dirt. I was trying to do it more 'naturally' so don't laugh, lol. But it doesn't stink, the chicks love it, it absorbs spilled water, hey get some grit and it was only $1!!!!

You will need to watch that very carefully for mold and bacteria growth. It may absorb the moisture, but it won't necessarily dry out like you will need it to. Sand may be a better option for you as it doesn't hold moisture like the sod might.

Yep!
big_smile.png

I never, ever brood in the house, too icky.

I've always used pine shavings and never had a problem. The chicks go on them from day one. No spraddle leg, no chicks choking on shavings, just scratching and happy babies. And that good pine smell
smile.png
.........out in the barn.

I never, ever brood in the house, too icky.

I've always used pine shavings and never had a problem. The chicks go on them from day one. No spraddle leg, no chicks choking on shavings, just scratching and happy babies. And that good pine smell :) .........out in the barn.
same here, I do give mine a chunk of sod at around two weeks to have something to do and to start to introduce my soils organisms and to build some immunity. I just swap it out when it dries up. I just dig mine out of my yard.

Back
Top Bottom