I tried PetSmart live mealworms to start a colony but...

Fritatta

Chirping
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Woodstock, GA
they all died. got black and crispy, I never saw an adult or a pupae.

I had them on oats with pieces of carrot. I watched several videos on it, and read lots.

Would it be the Petsmart worms? do I need to order from a mealworm dealer?

No it was not the worms. They get them from Ghans, Rainbow or a few other places that commercially breed them.

If they all got black and died it was due to the conditions they were kept. Possibly to cold and/or dry.

That said. They could have kept them to cold in the refrigerator and they were mostly dead when you bought them.

If you have a specialty reptile store in your area they will have a fresh supply of mealworms

If you are buying "giant" mealworms... they are sterile and you won't be able to start a colony...

Double check...

there is also a mealworm farming thread here... check it out.

I started my mealworm colony about 2 months ago with 5,000 worms from Petsmart. They are doing just great. Most of the worms have turned into beetles & those that are still worms are really large. I suppose it depends on the store you go to & the conditions under which they were kept.
Chickens-2011_06_06-067.jpg

I started my mealworm colony about 2 weeks ago. I got 166 mealworms and then 200 meal-worms today. How long does it take them to turn into Beatles. I have done a ton of research, but it all says about 5-6 months.
The lady also gave me a cup of the giant mealworms, and i didnt realize until i got home. I was suppose to have 300 mealworms. But i think im just going to feed them to my girls. I want to find a supplier that sells some Beatles or something.

All you need to grow meal worms is a bag of rice bran from the feed store.

Put the bran in any container and wet it down,place newspaper on top and put it in an area that does not get any sun, make sure ya keep the bran moist, you will have mill worms comming out your ears.

DSC000622-1.jpg

it doesnt take very long , i got mine from petco, about a month ago i have lots of beatles i even have baby worms , im using ground bran flakes and oatmeal, with fruits and veg. and raw potatoes with newspaper on top. janie

Back
Top Bottom