I tried to candle my coturnix eggs.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by laseterlass, Mar 3, 2013.

1. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    The first egg the light shown thru lit up like a light bulb. The others the light would not. May I assume it is because there is something inside the egg?

2. rllupien

rllupien Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    NC
    I would be very interested to know this a well! Coturnix eggs are really hard to candle.... I've attempted a few different times with different flashlights and all of mine seem pretty much the same. A dark mass and some lighter area to one side. I'm assuming I'm seeing the yolk. I couldn't see any veining but I've hatched coturnix before and never was able to see anything then either. Hopefully someone can shed some light ( no pun intended).

3. gingerly1983

gingerly1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Grand Ridge, Fl
    I haven't had any luck candling my coturnix eggs :/ I don't know if its because of the spots or if the shells are thicker.

4. kenazzo2000

kenazzo2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    malta [europe]
    I have got a brindsea torch and i see them well with it if you have half of the inside of the egg dark i asume that they are fertile hope im right

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  5. robopetz

robopetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Hawaii
    Are coturnix like button quail eggs? If so, you just need a bright enough light. I found my iphone to be bright enough to candle my button eggs.

6. rllupien

rllupien Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    NC
    I've not tried candling buttons, but I did try candling my cots with my iPhone light and I couldn't see anything.

7. robopetz

Oct 11, 2012
    Hawaii
    Really? What day were you on? About 10 days into incubation I can't see either lol

8. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I never thought it was possible to candle coturnix eggs. I had a few eggs spoil last time on me last time i tried to incubate, i couldnt tell only smelled them when they cracked by themselfs "whew". How can i be sure this dosen't happen again? maybe a small pc. of copper tubing and a flashlight under it?

9. robopetz

Oct 11, 2012
    Hawaii
    I think there is a YouTube video showing how to make a candler and how to candle coturnix. My iphone case makes a lil cradle part where I can sit the egg on and works great for me.

I should be getting my coturnix eggs in the mail today. I will candle to see if there is any non visible cracks then I'll let y'all know how that goes.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  10. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Now im wondering if some of the ones i had in the incu that cracked and smelled were cracked in the first place? its got me thinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by