I tried to raise my chickens right, and now a hen has a pin point eye-maybe Mareks.😭

Thank you so much for your advice!! (My son is an Ophthalmologist, so maybe he could help. Can they see it’s Mareks in the eye?)
I will see how it all goes, and thank you for taking the time to help me. It’s just another bump in life’s road forward. Your story gives me much encouragement and helped me see that happy chickens are still possible! Thanks again. :thumbsup

Oh definitely! It's not Marek's they are looking for it's a infection called uveitis which is caused by the Herpes Simplex virus. You have to remember that Marek's disease is basically a Herpes infection in chickens that causes tumors and or blindness.

So just get your son to use a hand microscope on your bird and tell him to look for Herpes Simplex induced Uveitis. He'll know what to look for. I just held my hen with her back to my chest while he looked into her eye. She was as good as gold. Just held still and let him examine away.

If you can get that diagnosis then you definitely have MD in your flock. That pupil is so misshaped and pin point that I'm expecting that is what he will find. But there is always hope.

And yes, there are always possibilities. Don't give up. It will be rough roads ahead but somebody will eventually pay the man who turns on the light at the end of the tunnel for you..

Back
Top Bottom