I used to love him, now I don’t

toniathequeen

Chirping
May 6, 2020
Salem, Oregon
So my bantam rooster who is almost 7 months old has now started to see me as a threat and attacking me! He never used to until I brought home 5 new girls for him. Is he stressed out now or will he eventually calm down?!? I don’t want to get rid of him because he’s sweet to the girls and doesn’t over ride them! Any advice for me?
C09F7064-6DC3-4375-951D-F1D0C30DEE56.jpeg

He's behaving like a typical adolescent crazed and confused by his raging hormones. He's reacting to suddenly having a harem of his own and he doesn't feel he needs to share them with you. It's going to be your job over the next few weeks to set him straight as to his role with the hens and your role. Boundaries are absolutely necessary.

You will need first to examine your fortitude in being able and willing to set these boundaries for him, not showing fear or hesitancy. If you feel ambivalent over committing yourself to discipline him each and every time he shows aggression toward you, you may as well give him away now.

You will need to be firm in restraining him the second he dances up to you to intimidate and challenge you. You need to keep him restrained until he submits to your authority. After he relaxes and quits struggling release him and ignore him as long as he's carrying out his normal role with the hens. If he gets upset when you handle the hens, put the hen down and immediately restrain him again.

A good cockerel will get the message in just a few short lessons. If he instead escalates his aggression, you may as well give him away or use him for soup.

My Sussex decided one day he wanted to fluff up and charge me. He wore a 2.5 gallon waterer the hard way. I was throwing fully intending on slowing him down enough to cull him. He scampered off and disappeared for the rest of the day. I was convinced by the wife to defer sentence. He's been the best rooster I've had.

My Sussex decided one day he wanted to fluff up and charge me. He wore a 2.5 gallon waterer the hard way. I was throwing fully intending on slowing him down enough to cull him. He scampered off and disappeared for the rest of the day. I was convinced by the wife to defer sentence. He's been the best rooster I've had.
Oh, I’ve kicked him before and sent him flying but he keeps doing it!

He's behaving like a typical adolescent crazed and confused by his raging hormones. He's reacting to suddenly having a harem of his own and he doesn't feel he needs to share them with you. It's going to be your job over the next few weeks to set him straight as to his role with the hens and your role. Boundaries are absolutely necessary.

You will need first to examine your fortitude in being able and willing to set these boundaries for him, not showing fear or hesitancy. If you feel ambivalent over committing yourself to discipline him each and every time he shows aggression toward you, you may as well give him away now.

You will need to be firm in restraining him the second he dances up to you to intimidate and challenge you. You need to keep him restrained until he submits to your authority. After he relaxes and quits struggling release him and ignore him as long as he's carrying out his normal role with the hens. If he gets upset when you handle the hens, put the hen down and immediately restrain him again.

A good cockerel will get the message in just a few short lessons. If he instead escalates his aggression, you may as well give him away or use him for soup.
Well, catching him is going to be a challenge with them free ranging! Do you have any tips?

Back
Top Bottom