I waited 7 months for these girls to lay eggs, and now one's broody?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jossanne, Dec 24, 2010.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I got chicks at the end of April only because I had one egg developing under a broody, and I didn't want it to grow up alone. So I went to the feed store, planning to get 3 or 4 reliable layers, like sex-links or australorps. I gave in to pretty though, and came home with FOURTEEN standard cochins, brahmas and blue wyandottes. They finally started laying this month, at 7 months old, and I have been thrilled to finally be getting eggs.

Today, though, one blue wyandotte is showing all the signs of going broody, and I'm sure she hasn't laid more than a dozen eggs. Darn her. She is getting all fluffed up, giving a great version of stink-eye, and growling at me seriously every time I look at her. I don't have any good eggs to give her, but if she's still at it next week I'm going to have to get her something to set. Time to start browsing the egg auction forum...

Here she is growling at us
    [​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

I love me a broody!

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I had an Orp go broody 2 months after starting to lay. No rooster so I wanted eggs. I put gloves on and locked her out of the coop. let the others in and after 2 days all was back to normal.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My current mama with chicks couldn't have been laying for more than a couple of months when she went broody.

Life with chickens, doncha love it???

5. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:[​IMG] Love it! I just hope her sisters don't decide to join her. But if they do... I could have me an egg-hatching marathon! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    All that my suede-soft blue wyandotte seems to do is: brood & molt. By far, she has laid the fewest and smallest eggs of the entire flock, but she's the biggest, pouffiest beachball bird and a good-tempered dominant hen. Anyway, she was almost 40 weeks old when she finally started laying... and she became broody just a few weeks afterward. Very broody birds, I think. She got over being broody, then laid about 15 eggs, then went broody AGAIN! That routine went on all last spring/summer until August 12th when she started molting. She has YET to resume laying, even though one of her flockmates started molting a month later and has long since resumed laying eggs. Argh, good thing she's pretty and I like her. [​IMG] This spring, I think we need to let her hatch, something! Lord knows she's got the body and warmth for a huge litter of chickies. And I'm sure she'd like nothing better than to be a doting mom.

Anyway, just my little experience tells me that those round and super fluffy birds are ALL about being broody, I think. We can't change mother nature, I'm afraid.

7. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    feathersnuggles, sounds like our birds are two of a feather! I have recently given away all my proven broodies, and don't have a bator. So I am happy to have another. Plus she's 3 times as big as my best little silkie mama was--I can only imagine the number of eggs she can cover! I've got an APA judge down the highway from me about 5 miles, and I think I just might make a phone call and see if he has any spectacular fertile eggs for her to cover. My breeding project birds aren't old enough to reproduce yet...

I'm just picturing the 6 standard cochins and 5 other blue wyandottes that started laying this month too. I may have to build a lot more broody boxes. [​IMG]

8. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha & Merry Christmas!!

I love the pic, reminds me of my AGF hens as they are all in and out of broody mode. But incase you need more egg producers, if your hens decide to go broody, You may want to isolate them in a Broody cage. I had that experience with some new stock. But I wasn't going to allow it unless it was planned. So I had 10 Hens (at most) in broody cage prison until they returned to nesting state. Whatever you decide to do will be great!

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I hear ya!

My pure Ameraucana went broody at 7 months. I contemplated ordering eggs that I wanted to hatch, but a lot of people told me Ameraucana's don't make the greatest broodies, will give up, etc, so I just put my own eggs under her. She hatched all 8 eggs (gave her 9 but 1 was infertile and she kicked it out of the nest) and was a terrific mama hen. (she's earned the right to be a hen)

10. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    CUTE! My Dels TRY to do me that way, but I have the styrohen in the bedroom for chickies so momma wins that game [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by