I wanna hatch chicks this spring but am hesitant

PolishAllTheWay

Songster
Dec 13, 2020
Heyo, I have struggled in the past with hatching, but I really wanna try again this year. I have people who wanna buy polish chicks from me, but I’m not so sure I can. I could really use some tips on hatching successfully! :fl

nuthatched

Fishin' for Chickens
Nov 9, 2019
Rim Country, Az
Hi therd!
Polishes are cute!
Did you calibrate your thermometer and hygrometer?
Forced or still air?
How well is the bator insulated?
Have you tried giving your flock vitamins a few weeks before gathering eggs to incubate?
Do you wash the eggs?

Xouie

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Jun 11, 2020
SF Bay Area
Well, there can be a lot of variables in hatching. I don’t want to overwhelm you, but here are two pieces of general advice.

#1: Know your incubator. Spend some time really learning its features and quirks. Figure out of it has cold spots, loses humidity in certain weather, etc. (This is where a separate thermometer/hygrometer comes in handy.) Run it empty, maybe sacrifice a few infertile eggs to test it with eggs inside.

#2: Be patient and calm. If you’ve done #1, you’re less likely to really stress when there is an issue. Because stressing out makes the hatches a lot harder on you.

And of course keep checking out the incubation forum discussions. I see new and interesting perspectives all the time.

MissMonty

Songster
5 Years
Sep 12, 2015
Dayton, OH
I'm in this boat as well. One of my next farm purchases I want to be an incubator. I'm hoping to get some breeding projects going on and I need to get the incubating down first. Its overwhelming. I've been watching a few videos on youtube comparing different incubators and that is helping a lot

PolishAllTheWay

Songster
Dec 13, 2020
I'm in this boat as well. One of my next farm purchases I want to be an incubator. I'm hoping to get some breeding projects going on and I need to get the incubating down first. Its overwhelming. I've been watching a few videos on youtube comparing different incubators and that is helping a lot
I’ll try it thanks a bunch!

Top Bottom